Moving up in size from 1 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberline

Reaction score
I've only got two batches under my belt and haven't even drank them yet.

I'll always keep the one gallon setup for experiments and such.

But I'm ready to move to larger batches and figured this was the place to ask my seemingly stupid question:

Assuming I have big enough boil pots and big enough fermentation buckets for up to 5 gallon batches, is there any reason that I should move up step-wise (1 => 2 or 3 => 5) rather than just straight from 1 to 5?

Bad analogy time: I know from my Jeep it was considered a no-brainer to jump from 31" tires to 33" tires, but it was a whole 'nother matter when it came to jumping to 35" or bigger tires.

If you have the equipment already, then sure, go ahead and brew 5-gallon batches. Those who don't have the means to acquire all of the larger equipment at one time usually upgrade a little at a time, thus the 2.5 or 3 gallon batch brewers.

The reason most homebrewers brew smaller batches is for 1. practice 2. trying out recipes 3. space. Assuming you have a stove/burner that will bring several gallons to a boil and an efficient way to cool your wort, then you can go ahead and jump straight to 5 gallon batches. Most kits are either 1 or 5 gallon kits.

For me, I don't have the heat needed to boil that much (probably could do 2-3 gallons and top off). My next larger brews will be BIAB 2.5 or 3 gallon batches. I have some serious space issues as well so this makes sense for me.

So basically, if you have the equipment (or means to get it), have the power (heat and cool), and are comfortable brewing larger batches, there is nothing stopping you from making the jump. Of course, there's nothing stopping you without all that stuff besides common sense. :)

I started with 5 gallon batches, and brewed my first 1-gallon batch last week. The only thing I significantly appreciated was just how much less lifting there is. Rinsing/manually aerating a 6.5g glass carboy is also quite a bit harder than a 1 gallon jug.

I can't think of anything that you would have significantly different from a 2-3 gallon batch other than less beer at the end and fewer ingredients at the start.

I started with 5 gallon batches, but I still do smaller batches occasionally to experiment with something and just use a pot and fermentor to fit the task. I've also done 10 gallon and 30 gallon batches at fellow brewer's homes. I don't think the tire analogy fits. While we all have little differences in process, the size of the brew doesn't change anything.

I did the same exact thing. Started brewing 1 gallon batches, realized it was a waste of time for what you get. Then I said I'm moving up to 2.5-3 gallon batches. I used my 3 gallon fermenter once and moved on to 5 gallon. YMMV.
I understand the Jeep analogy perfectly, use to have a TJ. I would call 31's = 1 gallon, 33's = 5 gallon, then 35's = 10 gallon+.

Can you boil 5 gallons? My kitchen stove can handle up to 4 gallons, but 5 gallons requires a larger kettle and it won't boil that even on the high-output burner.

I like brewing 3 and 4 gallon batches. In warm weather I can do 5's outside on the turkey fryer.

I did the same exact thing. Started brewing 1 gallon batches, realized it was a waste of time for what you get. Then I said I'm moving up to 2.5-3 gallon batches. I used my 3 gallon fermenter once and moved on to 5 gallon. YMMV.
I understand the Jeep analogy perfectly, use to have a TJ. I would call 31's = 1 gallon, 33's = 5 gallon, then 35's = 10 gallon+.

Exactly where I'm at as well. I appreciate the 1 gal starting point but seems like a lot of effort to yield 9 or 10 bottles. Granted, I'm just starting to learn and don't know what I've produced yet - so could be crap and if so the cost of failure is lower with 1 gal brews.

So equipment aside, the process scales linearly - great!

Can you boil 5 gallons?

Yes. If my stove can't handle it or I do a partial boil, I've got a 38K BTU propane burner I can use as well.

I started with 5 gallons because it was the de facto standard and I didn't realize I could brew less. Got all the way up to kegging those batches, then eventually decided to scale back to 2.5 or 3 gallon batches - with smaller kegs. Just as cool, but less beer per batch and more variety. I also do 1 gallon batches which I bottle. I still have my 11 gallon kettle and propane burners, but don't use them but very occasionally.

There is nothing "upgraded" about more beer. It's just a volume decision. One can make a lot more crappy beer than the next guy who is making a smaller volume of great beer, and that doesn't make the first person "upgraded." (This is not aimed at anyone personally of course - it's a general statement.)

I have a Jeep too (JK), but with factory tires. :)

Yes. If my stove can't handle it or I do a partial boil, I've got a 38K BTU propane burner I can use as well.

Just an FYI, in order to get my 10 gallon pot boiling, I set it over 2 burners. It ALMOST fits so I make a skirt around it with heavy duty aluminum foil. Once I captured all the heat escaping up the sides, it boils just fine. Eventually I'd like to make a better skirt out of flashing.

Just an FYI, in order to get my 10 gallon pot boiling, I set it over 2 burners. It ALMOST fits so I make a skirt around it with heavy duty aluminum foil. Once I captured all the heat escaping up the sides, it boils just fine. Eventually I'd like to make a better skirt out of flashing.

Is that 2 stovetop burners or 2 propane burners?

I find that doing 5 gallon brews is actually easier than the 1 gallon brews. You have more volume, so the mash temp is much more stable. Plus one gallon in the bottling bucket is tough to deal with.

I've only got two batches under my belt and haven't even drank them yet.

I'll always keep the one gallon setup for experiments and such.

But I'm ready to move to larger batches and figured this was the place to ask my seemingly stupid question:

Assuming I have big enough boil pots and big enough fermentation buckets for up to 5 gallon batches, is there any reason that I should move up step-wise (1 => 2 or 3 => 5) rather than just straight from 1 to 5?

Bad analogy time: I know from my Jeep it was considered a no-brainer to jump from 31" tires to 33" tires, but it was a whole 'nother matter when it came to jumping to 35" or bigger tires.

When I first started w/extract kits I did 5 gallon brews....but then I had like 100 bottles of a brew and got bored drinking the same thing over and over. I now do 2 gallon brews and get about 3 six packs and a variety in my fridge.

Back