Moving to Princeton, NJ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttsjp

Reaction score
Hi again, HBT! This isn't so much of an introduction as it is a re-introduction and inquiry. I am originally from MA but have been living in Nashville for the last four years, enjoying the hell out of having Rebel Brewer within 25 minutes driving distance. In the next week and a half I will be moving to Princeton, NJ for grad school, and I wanted to ask people about good homebrew stores in the Princeton area. Ideally, I would like my LHBS to be within thirty minutes of me, but I'd be willing to go a little further if I had a really good reason.

I am a very serious all-grain brewer who loves having a WIDE variety of specialty malts, hops, and of course yeast strains at my disposal (Rebel Brewer is amazing when it comes to that variety). Is there anyone from Princeton (or Trenton, Newark, Philly suburbs, etc.) that can recommend a good homebrew store or two?

Thanks,
Jeff

Thanks, guys. Now I'm curious about the water profile...I know that Newark, home of the legendary Ballantine Burton Ale, is known for having a phenomenal water profile

+1 Princeton Homebrew.
Its right down rt 1. Prices are decent for being a LHBS in Jersey.
Also you aren't that far from a really good group buy for south Jersey Philadelphia area.

+1 Princeton Homebrew.
Its right down rt 1. Prices are decent for being a LHBS in Jersey.
Also you aren't that far from a really good group buy for south Jersey Philadelphia area.

the shop is now on Route 29 in Trenton (close to Ewing Twp)

Hey man, welcome to the area! I live in Ewing, and ride my bike to Princeton Homebrew all the time. It's a great little store, and the only club in the area that matters is The Aleiens. Hope to see you there!!

Joe at Princeton Homebrew is great and an innovator in his own right with his solar-powered brew rig.

There is another group called 'pale ales' which is an acronym for something that is very active in th Princeton area. Go to www.paleales.org or ask Joe at Princeton Homebrewto get you on their email list. They have meetings at pubs and 'big brew' days and other fun stuff going on.

Welcome to Princeton, its a crazy place.

Welcome to the jungle. You'd also be within driving distance of Keystone in Bethlehem and I'm sure between Princeton and Keystone, you'll get what you're after. I'm more than 40 minutes away from every LHBS around so I just let UPS do the driving because they use fuel more efficiently.

hahaha, don't hate, it's closer then barely legal, which has it's meeting in Maple Shade I believe. Hulmeville is about ten minutes from Princeton HB.

If it's the only club that matters then explain why at our last meeting of around 70 people we passed around the Philly Beer Scene Best Homebrew Club 2011 trophy. I will let the facts speak for themselves. I don't want this to become a pissing match but I can't let one person make a blanket statement that couldn't be further from the truth. I am not trying to hate on the Alieins just putting the facts out there. For the record we have members from Mercer County.

I worked in princeton for 36 years and live outside philadelphia. I have been to Princeton homebrew both in Trenton (close but not Ewing) and his previous location in Princeton... was it Witherspoon street? He has a good shop and has been in business a long time.
I am all in favor of supporting your local homebrew shop, but I have found the Barley Legal club to be a great resource for group buys and good feedback from experienced brewers. They also have a good relationship with Iron Hill brewery where they meet the first Tuesday of the month.
I can't say anything bad about the Aleins, but I found a great group of knowledgable and friendly brewers at the Barley Legal club.
I think it's worth the trip from Philly- maybe you should check it out too

let's not forget about Brewer's Apprentice in Freehold. I'd take that over Princeton Homebrew andyday, and as a matter of fact, I usually do. Brewers apprentice www.brewapp.com has more to offer; they go through grain, hops, and yeast much quicker than Joe does. I've seen some stuff that was too close to expiration to even consider buying. That is never the case with BrewApp. Heck, they even sell sacks so when I miss my group buy (Philly Group Buy, usually pick up in pennsauken, nj), I'm still covered. Not to mention their prices on all cleansers are much better. Enjoy the move brotha. Traffic in princeton blows!

As for homebrew shops. I have been to everything mentioned so far in this thread except Corrados. Every shop has something different to offer. I consistently go to BYOB in Haddon Township. It is a bit of a trip to Princeton but if you are close to the area for any reason you should stop in and check it out. Brett is a great shop owner. He has a high turnover on his ingredients so everything is always fresh.

If you use a lot of grain make sure to jump on the South Jersey/Philly group buys on this forum. We often have group hop buys as well.

I would recommend checking out the many LHBS we have in the area. There is some not mentioned as well. There is 2 in Philly I have been to Barry's and it is good. The other I haven't visited because I am highly allergic to cats and I have been told cats roam free in the store. As well as Keg and Barrel in the Berlin Farmers market. The owners are very serious about their business and take good care of their shop.

If it's the only club that matters then explain why at our last meeting of around 70 people we passed around the Philly Beer Scene Best Homebrew Club 2011 trophy. I will let the facts speak for themselves. I don't want this to become a pissing match but I can't let one person make a blanket statement that couldn't be further from the truth. I am not trying to hate on the Alieins just putting the facts out there. For the record we have members from Mercer County.

Did you see the hahaha part, thats means it's said in jest. The fact is you're AN HOUR AWAY, not necessarily in the area of Princeton. It's a Philly club. If he said "Hey new to the Cherry Hill area....." Then you could say garbage like that, god bitter stupid people that want to have pissing contests are just annoying. Aliens it's 20 minutes away........you know, in the area. Jesus.......

Back