Moving hops and a new hop trellis.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randomnoob

Reaction score
I'm about to start my second growing season. My first had mixed results. I got a Centennial rhizome that did a pretty good job, ended up with a half ounce of dry hops. I was a bit discouraged by that at first, but I remember my mom telling me that her first year of growing her new raspberry plant she only got three raspberries off it. Last year, the plants third year, she got enough to make about 20 jars of jelly and four pies.

The other rhizome was a Williamette. I had just got it to start going up the twine when it died after we got hit with a huge rain storm. It got planted late as my other Centennial rhizome did nothing, I dug it up and it hadn't sprouted or done anything, the store owner took it back but all he had left were Williamette. At that point I just left it in the ground and it grew back a little bit by October when I trimmed both plants to the ground.

I realized early on last year that I had them in the wrong place, I planted them in late April and this was before the trees fully bloomed. By late May they were only getting about four or five hours of sun light a day. I have decided to move them further south so they get more sun light, I hope. The problem with this property is that there are trees every where. Front yard, back yard, side yard, south of the yard in the neighbors property that he never cleans up. There's just no great place for them. Just a good place for them, I think.

So I want to move the two hop plants from their current location to where I'm building a new hop trellis. I'm basing it on the one in this article: http://byo.com/hops/item/1870-hop-trellis-projects

My question is what advice do you have about moving hops and has anyone here built that particular hop trellis and what do you think of it?

If you dig out about 10 inches from the center of the crown (all the way around it) and about 18 inches deep, you'll have more than enough roots to insure a successful transplant. Just plunk it in the ground in the new location and stand back. Now that it has roots and some excess energy stored up you should see some crazy growth this year compared to last.

Here's a couple pictures of how much growth can occur over the course of one year with rhizomes.

Sum .jpg

Chinook 3.jpg

Latest posts

Back