Moving from Partial to All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyAdventure

Reaction score
I have done 3 partial mash batches and am ready to go all grain. I am content with my 5 gallon brew pot, I start with 3.5-4 gallons and add water mid boil so I don't worry about boil overs, but also have a "full boil." My mash run for my partial mashes is a 10 gallon Gatorade cooler, with a spigot at the bottom. I run off a couple of liters, pour it back it, then run off as much as I can into my brew pot, and batch sparge. I've done this with pretty good efficiency so far. So will this work for massive amounts of grain? I've done this technique with 2 lbs, 3 lbs, and 5 lbs of grain.
If you don't think this will be good with 14 lbs of grain, what should I do? I'm on a tight budget.
Cheers!

I just thought, what if I got another large kettle, 3-4 gallons, and did 2 separate boils and combined them in the fermenter? I thnk this would work. Btw, I am a stove-top brewer

Your mash tun is fine. Your kettle needs to be at least 8 gallons for a 5 gallon batch. Smaller batches or 2 separate ones and then combine even tho I don't like that idea.

Back