Moving from BIAB - Tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imburr

Reaction score
I have done 2 BIAB all-grain brews and neither have come out awesome. I am going to brew my next brew in my keggles, and skip the bag. I added a false bottom to one of my keggles, and I will use the previously unused one to boil in.

I have never sparged, or done anything with 2 vessels- any tips?

Also, quick question. I have trouble going from my boil kettle, through counterflow chiller, into fermenter- it is slow, cumbersome, and requires a lot of management and work, straining, etc. How can I simplify this? Do an immersion chiller instead? Add in a pump? Right now my keggle outputs to a quick release fitting, then silicon tubing for roughly 3-4 ft, then a self built counterflow, then some more tubing straight into fermenter. Typically there is so much gunk in my boil that it comes out very slowly.

Anything you can do with a mashtun, you can do with a BIAB bag. A BIAB bag is no different from a false bottom or stainless braid, except it's a better filter, and can be lifted or pulled to instantly seperate all the grain from the wort. You can sparge, no sparge, decoction, step mash, multiple infusions, direct fire (proceed with caution, and lots of stirring/recirculation). It's really the most versatile piece of a mashtun you can get.

IMO You're trying to solve a problem by inventing more problems, and work.

If you're not happy with it, then say what specifically and maybe we can find out where the problem is.

Anything you can do with a mashtun, you can do with a BIAB bag. A BIAB bag is no different from a false bottom or stainless braid, except it's a better filter, and can be lifted or pulled to instantly seperate all the grain from the wort. You can sparge, no sparge, decoction, step mash, multiple infusions, direct fire (proceed with caution, and lots of stirring/recirculation). It's really the most versatile piece of a mashtun you can get.

IMO You're trying to solve a problem by inventing more problems, and work.

If you're not happy with it, then say what specifically and maybe we can find out where the problem is.
:rockin: yeah, biab >>>>> than traditional 3/2 or vessel all grain. If you can't make good beer from biab, you aren't going to get it from traditional all grain. It's like wanting to drive a manual Mustang because you couldn't go faster than 15 mph in the automatic Mustang....

You need to figure out why biab didn't work for you first. E.g. Maybe you made a rookie mistake like leave the parking brake on.

I'm joining the club here, I agree with the others. I learned Home brewing on my brothers 3 vessel system. Large foot print of a system even though he built a stand with wheels to move it around. Where do you store it when it's not in use? Pumping boil water up two levels and then boom, the pumps dies. Now what? That happened more than once.

I wanted to start brewing mine at home, didn't want to clear a fairly large corner of the garage. Did a little reading and found BIAB.

I have a 10 gal pot, A burner, and a silver snake chiller (that goes in the pot for storage). It all fits under a storage shelf in the garage when not being used. completely out of the way. I keep a toolbox for all my other stuff, Siphons, hoses, hydrometer, small container of starsan, iodine, extra bags, etc. That fits under the burner. Ratchet pulley on one of the garage rafters that's always there.

That's it.

Changing your system may not (most likely will not) change your results. Please post what not awesome is.

My 1965 table saw works as well as a new one. Just not as pretty.

I am going to brew my next brew in my keggles, and skip the bag. I added a false bottom to one of my keggles, and I will use the previously unused one to boil in.

You can do a full volume mash in your new MT then you wouldn't need to sparge.

I'd really like to know what was not awesome about your two biab beers and what difference you think changing to a two vessel system will make?

I agree with the idea that changing methods might not be a solution to your problem. BIAB in and of itself should not give you a different beer than 2 or 3 vessel systems. It might be a better thing to find out what your BIAB problem is. If you have the same thing with the 2 vessel system you will not have progressed.

But, I started out with a 3 vessel gravity fed rig. I am not set up right for BIAB so I really dislike doing it. If I had a hoist - maybe. I have the space for the setup so that is not a concern for me. It stays in place so storage is also not a problem.

I just heard "my skills at heating up a can of Chef Boyardee is not on point. I'm going to try making a lasagna from scratch".

Get your problems under control, otherwise they will follow you to your next step.

"The" next step. Whatever your/his/her/their next step is. Making your own recipes, getting into more complicated brewing processes, changing your method (ie 3-vessel brewing), etc. The step after this one.

I thought your analogy of Chef Boyardee vs homemade lasagne was a comparison between BIAB and 3-vessel (or similar), which would be misleading. Both involve all-grain, from-scratch brewing. One is just faster and arguably more efficient on the homebrew scale. :mug:

BIABers need to stop saying BIAB v. All Grain, and start saying BIAB v. 3 vessel brewing.

(and stop with traditional, traditional might mean, open vat in your back yard, with no yeast, cuz that's how it used to be done)

biabers need to stop saying biab v. All grain, and start saying biab v. 3 vessel brewing.

(and stop with traditional, traditional might mean, open vat in your back yard, with no yeast, cuz that's how it used to be done)

Not to get technical or anything.. :D
:mug:

First thing I would do is add a pump to your setup. You can use it for many things:

1.) Pumping strike water from the BK to the MLT
2.) Recirculating your mash
3.) Whirlpooling
4.) Pumping through your chiller

As far as tips, I would offer the following:

1.) Keep the bag (but not for the obvious reasons) - You can use your BIAB bag as a mash filter. The micron size of most bags means that they will keep out undesirable lipids and proteins from the BK. Also it helps with cleanup. Keep the false bottom as well, as it offers a place for the bag to sit on and increase the surface area for recirculating.

2.) Go No-Sparge - If your MLT can handle it, try no-sparge. With 100% conversion, recirculation, proper pH, and limiting mash losses, there is no reason that for a 1.049 beer you can't get efficiency in the 80% range.

3.) Don't pulverize your malt - Use just a bit of water from a spray bottle to moisten the grains before crushing and open the gap a little bit. You'll still get a nice crush and a husk that stays intact and gives good lauter performance and recirc performance.

Latest posts

Back