Moving. Changes to AG process and Equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tandoori

Reaction score
My partner and I are moving into a house in the beginning of January. I’m excited, as our current living situation has left a lot to be desired, except for one thing: the current apartment has worked out well for brewing (at least I think so). I won’t get into the drama behind our move, save that we have a crappy landlord and even worse neighbors.

I’m currently an all grain stovetop brewer who uses a 10 gallon igloo for a MLT, and stainless steel pots for HLT and BK. My batches usually end up being about 6 gallons. (I also have 2 7 gallon stainless brew buckets for fermentation, and I still have my 5- and 6- gallon glass carboys if I ever feel ambitious enough to have more than two beers fermenting at once – at least until I throw down for another stainless brew bucket – I love those things!) We currently have a large gas stove with fan hood. I rigged up an outside threaded nozzle to our kitchen faucet to allow me to attach lines to my immersion chiller, as well as a 3.5’ length of silicon tubing that I use for a sprayer hose when cleaning and filling. Overall, we had a good system down for brewing that served me well through last winter (my first brew season using All Grain), and spring and allowed me to make some pretty quality brews.

Now, we are going to be renting a house (which we may end up buying). I’m going to have to come up with a new process. The situation there is:
Small kitchen with approximately the same sized stove, but no fan hood. Kitchen has a door that leads out to a fairly large deck, that then has 5-6 steps leading down and across a small backyard to a detached two-car garage. Off the kitchen are also stairs that lead down to an unfinished basement where, I imagine, I’ll be fermenting, unless we end up with someplace on the ground floor for me to stash a fermentation fridge (unlikely, as this is a pretty small 2BR house).
Obviously, the lack of a fan hood in the kitchen concerns me for brewing. I figure I might use it to heat my mash and sparge water, but for the actual boil, I imagine you guys would advise me to go for an outdoor propane burner. Which should be fun in Wisconsin winter. Also, I would be doing it on a wooden deck, which may be against local fire codes. There is also the possibility of brewing in the garage, I suppose, but I don’t relish the prospect of lugging a hot, full brewpot across a snowy/icy yard and up several stairs across a frozen deck in a Wisconsin winter. Plus, I don’t believe there is running water out there. Of course, I’ll probably also be lugging fermenters up and down a narrow staircase to and from the basement as well. Now that I have the room, and the basement, I imagine I’ll start looking to acquire/build a proper temp-controlled fermentation chamber, and put it either in the garage or in the basement. Garage concerns me, mainly because it would probably be too cold in the winter, and a little bulb in a paint can or ceramic casing probably wouldn’t suffice.

So, what would you do here? Should I just try stovetop brewing, and try to crack the windows and doors (which means I'd have to be constantly aware of cats trying to escape), or would I just be better off going with a propane burner, despite the logistical problems that I would encounter? What other suggestions might you have? Since we’re currently renting the place, and may or may not purchase it, I’d like to avoid any solutions that require any modification to the premises for now.
Other things to consider: This new place has a water softener installed, which isn’t ideal for brewing. A shame, because, in this are, the “raw” tap water here in Madison is rich in mineral content and nearly perfect for brewing. Not sure if there’s a way past it, or if there are any faucets not connected to it.

I recently noticed that our current apartment’s fan hood doesn’t appear to be attached to any sort of ventilation – it’s basically just a hood with a fan in it and a light that, I guess was just blowing out the top. So, perhaps stovetop brewing might be fine, and I could just crack the window?

I recommend a propane burner, it's much faster. If you don't have a brewhauler / carboy cover (I like that brand), get 'em. I believe you can bypass water softeners, but never had to do so.

With a window / fan maybe I am sure you could brew inside if you so desire.

Fwiw, here's my suggestion, especially for winter: propane burner in the garage, and get a fountain pump to recirculate water for your chiller. I brew in a detached building and this has worked well for me.

I would agree w/propane burner and pump to recirc chiller water regardless of if you end up in the garage or on the deck. Re: heating option in a ferm chamber, nobody says you have to use your ferm chamber 100% of the time in all conditions - if it's cold enough ambient in the house somewhere, can go with that in the cold months, right? (Possibly while lagering something else in the chamber, perhaps)

I like the garage option BUT you'll want to run water to it (hose on reel that runs through filter to brew station?), AND you don't want to lug full fermenters back to the basement. I would go indoors with a fan. OR, if you go garage, I think you would be surprised what a well insulated fermenting cabinet will do to hold temps .. ice blocks when it's hot and a heating pad (or bulb in a can) when it's cold. Just thinking out loud here.

There's nothing more resourceful than a homebrewer in a new environment. They can brew in prisons (or at least ferment stuff), so my guess is you'll make it!

Seriously, I'd be 100% in the garage. I live in Quebec, so I know a winter when I see one. Run a hose from your house to the garage. Running water doesn't freeze. Just disconnect and empty it after each brew. Maybe don't brew when it's -20C and windy outside. Chill using an IC, a pump, don't chill (some do that), build yourself an insulated ferm chamber, etc.

You'll be fine.

Cheers!

You didn't mention chilling the wort but I gotta figure Wisconsin in the winter time would be prime location to employ the no-chill/slow chill strategies.

On a side note, you might be interested in the course I published located in my signature if you're looking for ways to stay brewing in the house. In my opinion, going electric is a big help. It allows me to brew 10G in my laundry closet.

As ghohn said, electric is pretty damn awesome (no zealot like a convert).

But it won't solve the issue of you lacking a fan hood. But... is that really an issue?

That is, is the issue of a 60-90 minute of a boil really that big for you? Yes, it will produce a fair amount of water vapor. But I assume the winter weather plus the heater means things are pretty arid to begin with, so embrace some moisture. It's not that much different than simmering a sauce for a few hours, or making a batch of stock.

If you're really that concerned, open a window and put a fan in it blowing out?

Latest posts

Back