Movin on up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETOHonboard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have done a couple of kits now and I believe I am ready to do a recipe. For my first recipe I am doing an AG Stone IPA clone recipe that has been converted to an extract recipe. The recipe calls for 8#LME,1/2 lb of crystal malt 10L and 12 lb of crystal malt 20L. In the past I have steeped the grains from the kits for 30 min. The mash recipe on this says mash all grains for 60 min. Since I am using the extract recipe should I steep the crystal malts for 30 or 60 min?

I have done a couple of kits now and I believe I am ready to do a recipe. For my first recipe I am doing an AG Stone IPA clone recipe that has been converted to an extract recipe. The recipe calls for 8#LME,1/2 lb of crystal malt 10L and 12 lb of crystal malt 20L. In the past I have steeped the grains from the kits for 30 min. The mash recipe on this says mash all grains for 60 min. Since I am using the extract recipe should I steep the crystal malts for 30 or 60 min?

20-30 minutes is fine for steeping crystal malts. There is no advantage at all for a longer steep. (and I know you meant 1/2 pound crystal 20L, not 12 pound!)

I steeped the grains in my last batch for the full hour, and it just added a lot of time to the brew day without much gain.

Back