Moved, now basement is too cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReuFroman

Reaction score
I am getting married and I moved into my chick's place. The only place in the house that stays at a constant temp is the storage room in the basement. It's 60.7 to 61.2 for the last 3 weeks. That is low on the yeast temp range. I was wondering if a specific brand had lower temp strains for yeast. I was looking at a couple recipe kits from northern brewer and they had an option for different yeast that was a lower temp. Is there a resource online for temp ranges of yeast?

I'll get a different set up after the wedding. It will have better temp control but till then my budget is about nothing. So don't think I haven't though about a heat belt or some super fancy fermentation chamber.

One strain that immediately comes to mind is Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale... It has a low end temp of 55F (range is 55-75F)... Depending on what you're looking to brew, you should be able to locate some yeast that will be happy at those temps. OR, get a fermenter heating pad, or make a fermentation chamber to keep the fermenter inside the range you want.

IMO, you have plenty of options. Easier to add a little bit of warm air to the chamber, or heat to the primary, than try to cool it down. Besides, once the yeast takes off it will generate it's own heat, so you really only need to do this (most likely) until it actually takes off.

A normal bedding heating pad is less than $20. That should raise the temp a few degrees easily.

Thanks. There are some fun options out there. I have plans for a conical in a temp controlled fridge but I think this might give me the opportunity to really try some fun beers and make some warmer lagers. I thought about the heat pad. I have a bunch of old aquarium stuff I was going to make a 70 degree beer tank also.

I guess the next question is what warmer lagers have you made successfully?

That is a great temp for several yeasts.

My basement is about the same in the winter and I get good clean fermentation at those temps. For IPA/APA's US-05 works great at those temps.

...try some fun beers and make some warmer lagers...I guess the next question is what warmer lagers have you made successfully?

IMO you will have much greater success with cool ale fermentation than warm lager fermentation. If your ambient is 61 then your fermentation temperature will be mid-60s, which is COMPLETELY inappropriate for a lager, even with a yeast like S-23. I think the best you could do would be a California Common. Your ferm temps in that basement are actually what I would consider perfect for ales, but I would never consider fermenting a lager at those temps.

my basement is about the same and I love it. wyeast scottish ale gives me great results, as does s-05 at that temperature. it is also excellent for the first phase of strong belgian beers to keep fusels down, I start them in the basement then move them upstairs after a couple of days to warm up. Kolsch is another beer that comes out great from my basement, you must embrace the cold!

IMO you will have much greater success with cool ale fermentation than warm lager fermentation. If your ambient is 61 then your fermentation temperature will be mid-60s, which is COMPLETELY inappropriate for a lager, even with a yeast like S-23. I think the best you could do would be a California Common. Your ferm temps in that basement are actually what I would consider perfect for ales, but I would never consider fermenting a lager at those temps.

+1

You don't have a problem, in fact you're extremely lucky! I have a basement like this and the temps only fluctuate a few degrees as the seasons change. This is a good temp for ales, especially when you consider the heat produced by fermenting wort.

I would just place the carboy in a Rubbermaid container full of water to keep the temp stable and let it go; put some plastic under the container. I know my wort chiller doesn't get my wort below 70 except during the winter, so I toss some frozen water bottles in the Rubbermaid container until it reaches pitching temps. I pitch at a lower temp than I ferment, about 59ish.

Get a heating pad if you want to do saisons otherwise don't bother. As far as lagers go: hybrid beers like California commons, kolschs, alts, and cream ales are doable; you will just need to use frozen water bottles to keep the temp down.

One more voice in favor of your cooler temps for ales...

I regularly set my fermentation chamber to keep my fermenters around 64 or 64F. Your cellar, at 60F ambient, should keep that temperature range really well for you, leading to much cleaner fermentations.

Ok there you have it. I thought I was getting the short straw but looks like I will just have to keep experimenting. I will brew next weekend and give an update. I think it will be a Scottish ale.

Beer styles that Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale is good for:
American Barleywine
Baltic Porter
Braggot
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer
Foreign Extra Stout
Imperial IPA
Old Ale
Other Smoked Beer
Russian Imperial Stout
Scottish Export 80/-
Scottish Heavy 70/-
Scottish Light 60/-
Strong Scotch Ale
Wood-Aged Beer

As you can see, plenty of choices. That list is just what Wyeast recommends for that yeast. You can do other brews with it too. Just review the spec's of the yeast to see if it will be a good fit for something you're thinking of brewing.

Golddiggie said:
Beer styles that Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale is good for:
American Barleywine
Baltic Porter
Braggot
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer
Foreign Extra Stout
Imperial IPA
Old Ale
Other Smoked Beer
Russian Imperial Stout
Scottish Export 80/-
Scottish Heavy 70/-
Scottish Light 60/-
Strong Scotch Ale
Wood-Aged Beer

As you can see, plenty of choices. That list is just what Wyeast recommends for that yeast. You can do other brews with it too. Just review the spec's of the yeast to see if it will be a good fit for something you're thinking of brewing.

Awesome. I end up basically surfing the web at night before I go to sleep, I think it helps me have great brewing dreams. Scottish heavy sounds like a good next batch. I'm a McGregour so now I just need a sweet name for the Scottish heavy.

That's the first thing I thought of, too - 1728. Fantastic yeast. With a basement like that, you may well be able to use it through all 4 seasons.

I ferment all my beer in my basement, without any other temperature control. The temperature range down there stays pretty level, Winter or Summer, high '50s - low '60s. I chill to <70F, pitch, put it down there and forget about it. Porters, Stouts, IPAs, Belgians, Ambers (just to mention what I've put down there this fall), they're all good.

I was having a hard time getting my California Steam started on my cool basement floor. I placed my heat pad under the fermenter and boom! Off it went! So there are inexpensive temperature control options :)

So here is the ironic turn of events. We heat the house with wood fireplace in the basement. The temp has stayed at 67 for 3 days now.

Back