Mouldy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
So I have some beer that I made like six months ago which was neglected and has a ****load of mould and spores on the surface of it now. Is it safe to drink, or should I chuck it? It's unbottled, in the carboy.

If it fermented it's safe. I'd dump it, because I'm a sissy. You should try it first though.

Yeah, it fermented before contaminating...

I'm worried about toxins from the moudly things, not pathogens.

Wherever that mold came from in your environment, it's already in your environment. The beer didn't spore itself.

Water may be right about the environmental mold. I had moldy beer that I bottled and tasted, it was infected. It did not make me sick. But be careful, because there are dangerous molds. I think that having it in your environment is not the same as letting it grow and then consuming it. But I'm a retired cop, not any kind of expert in mold or health.

If it has a thick layer of mold on the top, the beer probably won't taste that good or worse. Although you could rack from underneath leaving the scummy, furry layer behind, the question is whether you should.

Chances are it's a dumper.

Personally, I'd dump it. There's no reason to drink bad beer.

Are you sur eit is mould?

Does it look like anything like some of thenoics in this thread?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=174033

There are numerours moulds per infected batch... They have mosaics of green orange pink molds. It's also pretty obvious that heavy sporulation has taken place in a few of them. Basically I had limited air bungs and made too much beer. Buckets w/lids all contaminated.

Myabe I'll just siphon the liquid away, bottle it and give it out to the local homeless people. Seems better than chucking it :cross:

Latest posts

Back