Motueka Ale ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultrasuede

Reaction score
Hi, i'm looking at brewing with some Motueka hops I scored. I need an all grain recipe that isn't super bitter (not an IPA) any links or suggestions will be muchly appreciated :)

Maybe you want something to showcase the hops more, but they were nice as a single hop in a Belgian pale/patersbier I made recently: 1.052, 25 IBU

85% pilsner
5% munich
5% biscuit
5% caravienne
bittering additon for 18 IBU
0.75 oz per 5 gal at 15
0.75 oz per 5 gal at 0

I used WL 530

I recently did a Monteith's Summer Ale clone, which is a summer wheat with Motueka. I did 50% pale, 35% wheat, 10% vienna and 5% C20. Add Motueka to taste. Mine also used honey and ginger since that's what Monteith's is known for but the ginger masks the hops so I wouldn't use it in yours. The light body and flavor let the hops shine through without being overly hoppy.

I do a wheat beer thats 50/50 pilner/wheat that is all motueka hops and turns out really nice.

Something similar to this profile. When I did my NZ single hop experiments, I was pretty close to this. NZ hops are amazing, but not necessarily the most potent of hops. Unless your using a ton, you want to have a very tame malt bill that lets it shine.

I'm not so sure about NZ hops being subtle. I did a Vienna/Motueka smash pale ale that turned out pretty amazing.

Edit: Whoops.

So, on a related but hopefully less insulting note: What hop would compliment Motueka as a dry hop?

Northern Brewer has their Kiwi Express IPA (all NZ hops) that heavily uses Motueka. I made it last year and it was pretty tasty.

Nelson Sauvin is good but may overpower the Motueka. I've used Pacific Jade a few times and it adds a nice spice note. I've been trying to get ahold of some Riwaka hops but they are pretty much only available in NZ and I was told they are out of season until April.

I did an Amber with Motueka it was nice. Made a good summer beer.

I also used it in a Hefe with Wllamette. It turned out excellent as well.

So, on a related but hopefully less insulting note: What hop would compliment Motueka as a dry hop?

Nelson Sauvin is a great compliment to Motueka.... or the other way around. I'd a combination I often use, though I don't usually use it for a dry hop.... I generally add just a few minutes before the end of the boil................. Nelson is one of my favorite hops.

H.W.

I may take a shot at 1/2 oz of motueka and 1/2 oz of NS as a dryhop, then. Thanks, Owly.

As a rule I dislike IPA's on principle but I made one to quite others in my brewclub. It was Kiwi Express. Was 2 row pale & crystal 20 then Nelson Sauvin, Motueka and Wakatu in the boil (60 & 10) and dry hopped with Motueka and Wakatu. Even the picky beer judge members liked it and surprisingly I did as well. Always keep at least a keg handy as my go to drink. Not even a hint of harsh bitterness and smells great.

As a rule I dislike IPA's on principle but I made one to quite others in my brewclub. It was Kiwi Express.

I as well am not an IPA fan but figured I might as well brew one up if I ever plan to some day in the distant future have a brewpub. Brewed the Kiwi Express as well. I actually really like it, and the keg is almost gone now. However, I do have to agree with the reviewers in that it really isn't an IPA but more like a Pale Ale, even though the hop bill puts it into IPA range. Not sure if the hops mellowed a bit or what, but it's not very bitter. I actually have the ingredients coming today to rebrew it. I upped the hop bill so it will be 63 IBU's, might tweak it down a pinch though, we'll see. When I'd read about the NZ hops and tropical fruit notes I was sold, and it sure did deliver.

Rev.

As a rule I dislike IPA's on principle but I made one to quite others in my brewclub. It was Kiwi Express. Was 2 row pale & crystal 20 then Nelson Sauvin, Motueka and Wakatu in the boil (60 & 10) and dry hopped with Motueka and Wakatu. Even the picky beer judge members liked it and surprisingly I did as well. Always keep at least a keg handy as my go to drink. Not even a hint of harsh bitterness and smells great.

Modern "IPA" really usually is an Americanized extreme caricature of IPA with wildly exaggerated IBUs as their characteristic. Original IPAs had IBUs in the 40's as a rule, some modern ones are far in excess of double that figure. The original IPA had alcohol levels of close to 8%, and a distinctly dark copper color, but not the sweetness of crystal malts. Dark Munich or something similar, might be appropriate, or perhaps pale two row oven roasted at home to darken it............ Obviously Cascade and similar hops used in American versions of IPA are obviously NOT appropriate. More likely Fuggles and Goldings would characterize a true IPA.
It seems that there are a few brewers making something that has more of a resemblence to the original IPAs..... I think quite a few people "don't like IPA".... as a result of the extreme caricatures of IPA that were once the "norm" in the US.

H.W.

Latest posts

Back