Motorized wort stirring while using IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stile

Reaction score
I was think of installing a small variable speed motor on my brew lid and attaching a stiring paddle to keep my wort moving while cooling with my IC. Nothing high speed but just enough movement of the wort.

Has anybody done this or thought about it??

Thought about it!!! Id get an AC gear motor from McMaster Carr! Sweet!

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Definitely thought about it. I've even got a couple sketches in my HB sketch pad (yes, I have a sketch pad dedicated entirely to HB DIY)

My only advice would be not to turn the motor on until your wort has cooled a bit, to avoid Hot Side Aeration. Hot Side Aeration is a whole new can of worms.....some believe it a to be myth and don;t sweat it too much. Others do what they can to avoid it. I say "better safe than sorry."

Just my .02$

I think the one benefit is that you don't have to keep removing the lid to stir the wort... hence, less chance to introduce...whatever.

All you would need to do is shut off the motor once the desired temp was reached and open the ball valve (if you have one) and drain into your fermentor. I agree on waiting on the temp to cool abit before turning it on.

What about the idea of a windshield wiper motor?? instead of turning in one direction, it could agitate the wort back and forth... say on the low INT setting, activates every several seconds.

Hey Pol - You gotta check this out ! I think you will like that price a bunch more than the McMaster $50 ones.

I just got two of these in today. They definitely seem to have the torque needed.

One will be moving into my steam mashing MLT this weekend. Since it will be automated, the mash will be stirred whenever the steam is on.

Hey Pol - You gotta check this out ! I think you will like that price a bunch more than the McMaster $50 ones.

I just got two of these in today. They definitely seem to have the torque needed.

One will be moving into my steam mashing MLT this weekend. Since it will be automated, the mash will be stirred whenever the steam is on.

You will probably want to get a fan on that motor. I burned up numerous motors using them as stirrers becuase they were not cooled. The ones at McMaster Carr are rated for continuous duty, because they are cooled. If you run it occasionally you may be fine, but be careful. It wasnt lack of power, it was just the heat killing them. I have been running the McMaster Carr motor since summer.
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

How can you connect a stirrer to this?

Look here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-10-gallon-herms-pics-76773/index4.html and you will see how, I already have this stirrer in use on my HLT for my HERMS setup... works like a champ. You need to get a shaft collar to attach a shaft and mixer.
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

What about the idea of a windshield wiper motor?? instead of turning in one direction, it could agitate the wort back and forth... say on the low INT setting, activates every several seconds.

wiper motors work great for this but they wont agitate back and forth. They only spin in a circular motion. the wiper motor does not oscillate back and forth the motion of the wiper arms on cars come from the linkage. Its best to use an older type wiper motor with just high and low speed because of the electronics involved. If anyone wants info on motors just google halloween wiper motor as they are used to animate props

Depending on your setup (and budget) you could always try whirlpooling as well.

I was thinking the same thing... all things being equal that is. The Mach pump would serve several purposes in all grain brewing. I've yet to make the leap to AG but have been slowly obtaining the needed equipment for it.

I do like the idea of it being a complete setup though..IE, Chiller and Motorized Stirrer in the lid.

Well, i'm off to B3 this morning to pick up some last minute items.. We be making beer tonight :rockin:

I was thinking the same thing... all things being equal that is. The Mach pump would serve several purposes in all grain brewing. I've yet to make the leap to AG but have been slowly obtaining the needed equipment for it.

I do like the idea of it being a complete setup though..IE, Chiller and Motorized Stirrer in the lid.

Well, i'm off to B3 this morning to pick up some last minute items.. We be making beer tonight :rockin:

Tell those guys at B3 to tighten up thier mill a little, thier crush is a little coarse!

Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Cooling with your lid on is a bad idea until your temp drops below 120º. Above that you with be producing DMS lending a cooked corn flavor to your beer.

I suggest whirlpooling with a march pump.

I think a mechanical whirlpool would be way better than the march pump variety. Don't get me wrong, it's fine and I use the Jamil type system, but I think a mechanical whirlpool will get your break isolated more efficiently since it's not being sucked out of the drain and through your pump. It also allows you to recirculate through a plate chiller and do a cold whirlpool which will capture the cold break, eliminating a disadvantage of plate chillers. Also, march pumps don't create a very deep vortex. This milk frother is what got me to thinking about the whole thing. A variable speed motor or two speed would be good allowing gentle agitation under the surface while at HSA temperatures, then ramping up to create a good whirlpool for break separation. If you use a boil screen it also prevents clogging caused by pumping. Anyway, this is all theoretical at this point.

IMG_0162.jpg

wiper motors work great for this but they wont agitate back and forth. They only spin in a circular motion. the wiper motor does not oscillate back and forth the motion of the wiper arms on cars come from the linkage. Its best to use an older type wiper motor with just high and low speed because of the electronics involved. If anyone wants info on motors just google halloween wiper motor as they are used to animate props

that's what I use the wiper motors for. You can buy one from Allelectronics.com for under $17.

POWERFUL WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR | AllElectronics.com

Although I like the idea, it totally sounds like something off Red Green!

Back