Motorized mill finally finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrally

Reaction score
I finally ran grain through my mill and I couldn't be happier with the performance.

I found a Bodine brushless gearmotor on ebay for $50 that I couldn't pass up. It puts out 90 inlbs at 125 RPM with a 200 inlb peak torque. It fires up beautifully with the hopper full of grain.

The down side of these motors is they require a controller to run them. I was lucky to find one of these a bit later on ebay without an enclosure. I mounted it in my control box and wired it up to control the motor from the BCS.

I then found out I was not so lucky as the controller was a dud. Getting it repaired was not worth the cost, so I hunted for a new one. I finally found an enclosed one. Not at such an attractive price, but it got me going.

I welded a bracket to mount the motor and connected the mill with a flexible coupling I purchased at Princess auto. A spacer was built out of some UHMW plastic I found to place the mill shaft at the same height as the motor shaft.

The whole thing was mounted to a piece of hardboard plywood which sits on the side of my brewstand and is removed after milling.

The whole thing weighs slightly less than 30 lbs making it easy move around and store when not in use.

Now to just get that new hopper extension.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

Oh, what we put ourselves through and the money we spend on this awesome hobby. Great looking mill you have there!

Love the mill! I really have to stop looking in this section of the forum, it keeps giving me ideas and draining my wallet.:D

Back