Most Flexible Lager Yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Egs21eric

Reaction score
Hello All

As a way of deciding what beer to brew next I have been brewing three 1 Gallon batches of different beer using the same yeast. Then i scale up my favorite of the three to a 5 or 10 gallon batch. I have done this with American Ale 1056 and Kolsch 2065 and looking to pick a Lager strand next. Suggestions on your favorite flexible lager strand?

Community Pros/Cons, With Favorite Count:

**Pros/Cons reflect the personal opinions of postings on this thread alone.

Saflager W34/70: 3 Votes
Pros: Very Well Rounded, Clean and Malty.
Cons: Belgian Styles

Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager: 2 Votes
Pros: Very clean, flocs nicely, lets the malt shine through.
Cons:

Saflager S-23: 2 Votes
Pros:
Cons:

White Labs WLP833 German Bock Lager: 2 Votes
Pros: Ferments well into the upper 50s, No Sulfur or Diacetyl ever, Very Malty
Cons:

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager: 2 Votes
Pros: Has even performed well into the 60s for Cali Commons
Cons:

White Labs Mexican Lager X: 1 Vote
Pros:
Cons:

Wyeast 2000 Budvar: 1 Vote
Pros: Consistent from Light Lagers to Dopplebocks.
Cons:

W34/70 is pretty much the work horse of the brewing industry. It's good for just about any lager except Belgian. (In my opinion)

Dry - W34/70 like Woodland said.

Liquid - I've found WY2124 Bohemian Lager and WLP830 to be nicely versatile.

The keys with any lager, of course, are to double the amount of yeast vs. a comparable ale, aerate/oxygenate well (less of a concern if using dry) and precisely control the temps.

I've been using wyeast 2308 for all lagers for 2 years. Including:
Helles
Pilsner
A light honey lager I like
oktoberfest
Schwartzbeer

I'm happy with the results

Today I'll also be using it for my first Irish red.

I've been using wyeast 2308 for all lagers for 2 years. Including:
Helles
Pilsner
A light honey lager I like
oktoberfest
Schwartzbeer

I'm happy with the results

Today I'll also be using it for my first Irish red.

Sounds good I will likely brew a Marzen and Dopplebock for sure. Do you have the recipe around for your honey lager? Sounds tasty.

Sounds good I will likely brew a Marzen and Dopplebock for sure. Do you have the recipe around for your honey lager? Sounds tasty.

Basically it's Midwest Supplies Honey bee ale recipe except I replaced the domestic 2-row with German pilsen base, and fermented as a lager. I also add a small amount of dehydrated orange zest for slight hint of citrus but that's just a personal preference.

5 gallon batch
Mash 60 min at 152F
5 lbs. German Pilsner base malt
8 oz. Carapils specialty grains

1 oz. of Perle hops (Bittering) 60min
0.5 oz sweet orange 15 min (optional)
1 oz. of Tettnang hops (Aroma) 2min
2 lb. honey at flameout
Target IBU's = 20
ferment 50F

Basically it's Midwest Supplies Honey bee ale recipe except I replaced the domestic 2-row with German pilsen base, and fermented as a lager. I also add a small amount of dehydrated orange zest for slight hint of citrus but that's just a personal preference.

5 gallon batch
Mash 60 min at 152F
5 lbs. German Pilsner base malt
8 oz. Carapils specialty grains

1 oz. of Perle hops (Bittering) 60min
0.5 oz sweet orange 15 min (optional)
1 oz. of Tettnang hops (Aroma) 2min
2 lb. honey at flameout
Target IBU's = 20
ferment 50F

Thanks, I will put it into Beersmith with my equipment and make the adjustments.

That's a great plan, smaller test batches before moving up to bigger ones.
I've just recently tried making some lagers, with a chilly basement and a crude temperature control, I'm able to hold my initial fermentation to 50 degrees F. I then follow the lager method I found on the Brulosophy
I've only used So4, but now I'm going to try the 34/70.
What fermentation temps/method are you going to use for your tests?

That's a great plan, smaller test batches before moving up to bigger ones.
I've just recently tried making some lagers, with a chilly basement and a crude temperature control, I'm able to hold my initial fermentation to 50 degrees F. I then follow the lager method I found on the Brulosophy
I've only used So4, but now I'm going to try the 34/70.
What fermentation temps/method are you going to use for your tests?

I think i am going to target these temps:

Doppelbock: 44-48 F
Marzen: 48-52 F
Light Lager: 46-50 F

These are the middle of the road for temperature targets for Celebrator Dopplebock, Ayiner Oktober Fest-Marzen, and Harp Irish Lager out of the recipes in "Clone Brews." Sound like good targets to me.

WY2124 is my favorite lager strain so far. I has worked well for bohemian pilsners, classic american pilsners, premium american lagers, and even up into the 60s for California Commons. No traces of diacetyl and a good attenuator. Very nice lager profile (crisp with just a hint of sulfur). Top notch in my book!

2124 is solid all around. 2042 is great if you like your lager a touch dryer.

W34/70 is the dry version of WLP830 and WY2124. I think of it as the Chico of lager yeasts.

Personally, I prefer WLP833. No sulfur or diacetyl ever, very easy to use, very malty and has more character than W34/70.

I use Wyeast 2000 (Budwar Lager) as my house strain.
I've used it from Doppelbocks 1.090/1.030 to Lite lager 1.035/1.000 with great taste as a result, so I think it's flexible but consistent.
Next up is a IIPL, aiming for 1.072/1.012.

W34/70 is the dry version of WLP830 and WY2124. I think of it as the Chico of lager yeasts.

Personally, I prefer WLP833. No sulfur or diacetyl ever, very easy to use, very malty and has more character than W34/70.

The 833 is my favorite as well. Made some pretty big (9%ish) doppelbocks with that one, and have made 4.8% pils that were crisp and clean as well. Ferments clean even in the upper 50's.

Thank you everyone who has voiced their opinion, I updated the original post to included the votes and options thus far, and will continue to do so.

cheers.

WY 2124 is pretty much my go to yeast for all my lagers but recently I've been looking at other strains. I did 5 batches with the limited release WLP 835 German Lager X and just tapped the first batch which turned out great. Also interested in WY 2000 and WLP 833.

Back