Most expensive CO2 refill ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelipen

Reaction score
I had an out of test 5 lb cylinder I wanted to swap out
$20 for the hydrotest to do the swap
$25 for the product
$4 hazardous gas charge
+ tax

I was looking at the retest date on the cylinder they swapped and it was 5 months from today. I asked for a new cylinder, and at least got one with 3 more years. Since this is a backup cylinder I would have definitely gotten hit with another retest charge.

Time to start keg conditioning again. yikes.

pelipen said:
I had an out of test 5 lb cylinder I wanted to swap out
$20 for the hydrotest to do the swap
$25 for the product
$4 hazardous gas charge
+ tax

I was looking at the retest date on the cylinder they swapped and it was 5 months from today. I asked for a new cylinder, and at least got one with 3 more years. Since this is a backup cylinder I would have definitely gotten hit with another retest charge.

Time to start keg conditioning again. yikes.

This makes for a great PSA on checking the hydro dates on bottles when you pick them up.

Damn man! High time to find a different supplier.

$5 per pound of CO2? I thought only pharmacies slap on a "filling charge" to pad their bottom line nicely. Often well exceeding the actual cost of the product.

My LHBS charges $3 per pound so I never get it there.

Wouldn't help with your out of date cylinder, but if you're near the northern 'burbs of Philly: Madonna's in Glenside (Jenkintown & Easton Rds) refills 5# cylinders for $10, and get cheaper for larger cylinders ($20 for 20#).

CO2 is not a "hazardous" gas. You should file a complaint with the owner and NEVER shop there again. $14 for me for 5lbs.

Is it a franchise? They are notorious for "listed charges" and other frivolous, meaningless, and overpriced add-ons, racking up your bill.

I don't think it's common to charge someone a hydro test on a swapped bottle. Now if you want to keep your nice shiny aluminum one, they will charge you for the hydro test, which is around $20. And you should get your own bottle back after a week or so.

Geez, I paid $20 to swap a 20# tank just a few days ago at a local welding supply shop.

IslandLizard said:
Damn man! High time to find a different supplier. $5 per pound of CO2? I thought only pharmacies slap on a "filling charge" to pad their bottom line nicely. Often well exceeding the actual cost of the product. My LHBS charges $3 per pound so I never get it there.
I went to swap my 5# at the weld shop and asked, I guess the owner what he would to trade for 10#. He's said ill just give it to you if you keep buying your gas here. Nice guy! Out the door 18.55! Just to let you know the margins in pharmacy are very tight! Thanks to pbm, insurance companies, drug manufactures and our fine government. Their is some scrips we lose money on. We only get paid by contract from insurance. We are more or less a pass through. We like to help out customers!

Wow! Got my 10# filled about 3 months ago for $15. Not only that, they were having issues with the filler, so he swapped me with a just tested and filled bottle for no extra charge. Yeah, they're a bit out of the way for me, but good customer service brings me back.

I originally bought a bottle and kept it for a number of years; but, when it came close to hydro time I went to a local welding supply place and tossed it into their swap system so I wouldn't have to deal with the hydro testing issues.

The place I use charges $15 to swap an out-of-date CO2 bottle. It's kind of like musical chairs. They hand out bottles and whoever returns it expired gets stuck with the cost of the hydro test.

I got a used tank from them for $50 about a year ago. The tank was about 6-months away from a hydro test. I didn't check the date at the time. When I refilled it, I had to pay the hydro costs. I wasn't too happy. Now I check the new bottle before I accept it. I won't take anything with less than 2-years on it.

I'd just as soon they build the cost of the test into their business model and charge a few more pennies for the CO2 fill. I don't like the way they do it.

I swap out at a local welding supply store and it's $20 for my 20 lb tank every time.

......I don't think it's common to charge someone a hydro test on a swapped bottle.....

I originally bought a bottle and kept it for a number of years; but, when it came close to hydro time I went to a local welding supply place and tossed it into their swap system so I wouldn't have to deal with the hydro testing issues.
I agree with both of you. I owned an out of date 20#er and paid for the hydrotest when I initially swapped it. I, and the welding supplier, consider me in their swap program and test dates are no longer my concern. As long as they stay in business, anyway. The two swaps since then, I paid for gas only and the date on the bottle wasn't even noted.

Hmmm... I wonder if my HBS will accept my 15# as a trade in/up to a 20? Apparently they only do 5, 10, and 20#ers The only refill places here charge per pound with a 26 dollar hydro.

Yeah, I need to find a different supplier. It was a GTS/Praxair, so pretty mainstream. My 15 lb is usually reasonable, but it's been almost a year since I filled it. I got the 5 lb for free, so it's not all bad, but that was sticker shock for sure.

The first time I went, I had a 20#, and a 5#. $25
The next time I had 2-20# filled, still $25.

I didn't ask what was up, but I may try and have all 3 empty next time.;)

pb

Runs me about $16-17 per fill for my 20# (welding supply), and $3 for my 20 oz bottle (dicks sporting goods).

I've started getting propane tanks filled at the welding supply as well, and swap them at the giant eagle once they get close to date.

Between $20 to $25 for 5# swap in my area. Cheapest is at a fire equipment shop and most expensive is a beer store. Can't find a place to refill on the spot, have to wait if I want to refill my own bottle.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

What's up with the Hazmat charge? Co2 is inert and you aren't mixing gasses. I pay $7.50 for mine every time I fill up.

While not CO2 I recently discovered it's $35 to swap out a 40# oxygen bottle and $32 to swap out a 60# bottle.

Back