Most banana-y yeast strain??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rking

Reaction score
Just had Krunk Monk at 3F tonight and the yeast character was so surprising that it got me thinking. It had a ton of banana to it, but was on the lower end of the spicy, clove that usually accompanies it from a German yeast... Obviously thinking about a homebrew experiment here...

So, whats the most banana like yeast you have ever used and at what temp did you ferment?

TIA

I actually just bottled my hefeweizen tonight, and it is extremely banana-y. I used Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephaner), and my temps at the beginning of fermentation were around 68-70, and I think this is the real reason why I got the real big banana taste. But after a couple days of that temperature, I lowered it a bit. Not really getting much clove taste though.

I used Wyeast 3068 (Weihenstephaner), and my temps at the beginning of fermentation were around 68-70, and I think this is the real reason why I got the real big banana taste.

I used the same yeast (3068) for a hefe and really liked the banana character. So, in the next batch I roasted some bananas, put them in a straining bag, and threw them in the secondary for a couple weeks. That added a LOT of banana aroma and flavor to the beer. Everyone seems to enjoy this stuff so I just bottle it every time instead of kegging to give out. Strange experiment that worked out pretty good!

I used the same yeast (3068) for a hefe and really liked the banana character. So, in the next batch I roasted some bananas, put them in a straining bag, and threw them in the secondary for a couple weeks. That added a LOT of banana aroma and flavor to the beer. Everyone seems to enjoy this stuff so I just bottle it every time instead of kegging to give out. Strange experiment that worked out pretty good!

Wow, that sounds like a really cool idea. I might have to give that a shot one day since I just bought a 5 gallon better bottle (meant to use it as a primary but I'm too much of a noob at brewing, so it's my secondary now).

The LHBS was out of Nottingham last fall, so I picked up a $2 pack of T-58. I thought the description fruity/peppery sounded interesting so made an attempt at a Belgian Strong Ale (2 row, SpecialB, C120 and a tad of black malt). It had a real strong banana aroma at first. I was not really into the beer at first, but it's a solid enjoyable beer 12 weeks later, both the bottled and kegged version.

WL300 will give you those esters. But whetever you use, you will want to ferment it on the higher end of the scale and that will eccentuate those flavors/aromas.

I've read, don't know how true it is, that WLP300 is the same as Wyeast 3068. If you want the most banana ferment is warm. I did a hefe just recently with wyeast 3068 and it has a lot of banana. My wife likes it better than franziskaner. It fermented warm the first day or two before I dropped it to a slightly cooler temp.

Rev.

I have used 3068 for almost every hefe I have brewed, maybe 10 batches, and the way to go with 3068 is not to ferment warm but to pitch warm (90degF) and leave it there for just until the fermentation is really starting to get rolling good. Just like 24 hours after pitching. Then drop the temp to the low 60's. I believe its on the Wyeast website the early warm fermentation produced the banana and the late cold ferment will subdue the clove/ spice. And visa versa, If the want clove and not banana, flip the fermentation cycle. Cold in the beginning and warm at the end.

WY3068/WLP300 produces the most in my experience.

Increasing the proportion of glucose in the wort will increase isoamyl acetate (banana) production. Try 10% glucose if you want a ton of banana. Corn sugar is dextrose, the d isomer of glucose.

Back