Morebeer Pliny The Elder Instructions Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've brewed the AG version of this and it is really insanely delicious. I've seen a number of questions in this thread about dry hopping. Here's an article by the man himself, listing the entire AG recipe, but more pointedly, laying out what he does for dry hops.

Interesting to see that he does two rounds of dry hops, and they're not evenly divided. He adds 75% of the hops in round one, and then the rest in round two. He also talks about rousing the dry hops using CO2.

I copied his dry hopping schedule and techniques exactly and came out with a really terrific brew. Haven't had Pliny in a while, so I couldn't say how close it is, but it's definitely reminiscent, and really delicious.

Hope this is helpful.

I am a brewing newbie. Only 5-6 extract brews under my belt. So I picked up the Pliney kit from Morebeer. Brewing went great. Primary was in a 6.5 gallon bucket, so there wasn't much activity in the airlock. Decided to check it last night before racking to secondary. Much to my surprise there was still activity going. So I thought I'd at least do a reading. It was at 1.020, which puts the beer at 8% already.

So my question for you folks is, should I have just left it in primary for a few more days or continue on and rack it to secondary. I chose to rack and not expose the batch to oxygen again a few days later. Did I make the right choice?

And the sample I tasted was incredible. Better than any batch to date and it wasn't done, dryhopped, or carbonated.

Back