Morebeer or Austin Homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about the issue with the scale. This is the first I had heard about it. I am curious why you didn't have Northern Brewer match the Amazon price with free shipping?...

The big reason was because I wanted to give the business to you guys. I have been down to your store and visited with the staff (of course, on a slower day) and really like what you are doing for the home brewing community. Like I said in my post, $5 was not the end of the world, but I figured since I was already ordering a couple of AG kits I would throw it in the order. I still ordered the kits, but was a little threw off by the response.

I don't mind throwing kudos when it is earned, but like all businesses - it is the customer who keeps the doors open. Reminds me of a story I learned when I was studying the business of customer service:

Pickle Principle - how it all began

No company is perfect like you say - the difference is the ones that try to change what is broken and excel at what works. Keep up the good work - and give em the pickle! ;)

I'm a big fan of Brewmasters warehouse. Great prices and the brew builder is indeed ingenious. I've put all my favorite recipes in there and with the 10% discount shipping is nearly free.

I have yet to order from Austin because I can get many things locally. However, am tempted to get some AG kits from Austin. I bought a Immersion Chiller from More Beer and it is awesome. I love the fact that they have the hose connections on their models and I believe I can remove them if need be. I got my Barley Crusher from Brewmasters Warehouse. I got is within a week of ordering it and I am in Colorado.

I'm a big fan of Brewmasters warehouse. Great prices and the brew builder is indeed ingenious. I've put all my favorite recipes in there and with the 10% discount shipping is nearly free.

I wish my recipes worked out so well. :confused: How about some of those recipes--I really need some nearly free beer right now.

More Beer sucks.

Is that the best you could come up with? Could even I ask why? I mean they have been over and beyond for me with my orders. There are pretty much my only LHBS and homebrew club. I'd like an explanation not just a lazy post (if you have any?) If that is the real feelings of this place...** sucks.

I think all of the pot shot threads I've seen here should have been close or deleted before at least 30 days and no products shipped. Like AHS has said "they don't just go away" even though nobody ever got ripped off. The only rip off is leaving this kind of crap on the web.

I tried Morebeer for two orders and both came with stuff broken or missing. Drinking and shipping don't go together I suppose. I find no reason to order from them when there are more "careful" vendors closer to me.

What did you order Bobby?
I ordered some liquid yeast form them and after 24 house the gravity had not dropped. I emailed them late that day and got a email right back. They said they would send me another one. Two days latter I got new vile and a 1/4 lb of DME. :mug:

I feel kind of bad about it because the starter took off the next day and made some great beers.

I wish my recipes worked out so well. :confused: How about some of those recipes--I really need some nearly free beer right now.

Not sure what you mean by nearly free beer. I said the shipping was nearly free with the brew builder discount Ed has advertised. (BBBYO)
Here is my recipe page if you want to check them out.
Wildwood Brewery // Brewmasters Warehouse

Sorry, I misread your post. :eek:
I've used that too and got 10% off. I keep enough specialty malts around that I didn't enter a real recipe though. I wish there was an option for uncrushed grain instead of having to email them.

+1 for Austin Homebrew! Turn around on orders is super fast; of course I'm only four hours away, but my items have shipped the same day every time.

Just remember if you order liquid yeast, even the thermometers are bigger in Texas:) . I got an order from AHB a few weeks ago; the kit was excelent, but my yeast was dead. AHB gave me a refund on the yeast, but had I not had I vial of Kolsch around I would have been a dead duck. As it was I had to pitch without a starter and had serious lag. I am lucky, I have a LHBS. I'll buy kits from Ed, AHB, or Midwest, but get my yeast locally. The local guy doesn't have all grain kits. When I can build my own I guess I do all local, except for here and there stuff. AHB needs to sneak around and find out where Mid West gets those insulated pouches and boxes at and they would be good to go.:mug:

One thing n one has mentioned yet is that BMW and AHS offer partial pounds when you buy grain. This isn't an issue when buying a kit. IF you are buying a self built recipe, partial punds are VERY important to me.

Most other stores don't offer that. Caveat - they didn't last I looked, but haven't checked in many months, so some may have changed. One of my LHBS doesn't offer that, and I won't buy ingredients from them.

In case you don't understand what I am talking about...If you need 2 oz of choclate malt for a recipe, ahs and bmw will sell you 2 oz's. Most of the others will make you buy a full pound in that situation.

That will lose my business instantly for ingredients.

One thing n one has mentioned yet is that BMW and AHS offer partial pounds when you buy grain. This isn't an issue when buying a kit. IF you are buying a self built recipe, partial punds are VERY important to me.

Most other stores don't offer that. Caveat - they didn't last I looked, but haven't checked in many months, so some may have changed. One of my LHBS doesn't offer that, and I won't buy ingredients from them.

In case you don't understand what I am talking about...If you need 2 oz of choclate malt for a recipe, ahs and bmw will sell you 2 oz's. Most of the others will make you buy a full pound in that situation.

That will lose my business instantly for ingredients.
I'll agree with you 100% on that one. My LHBS has all the grain in big garbage can like things and you take out and mill and weigh only what you want. If you need help running the mill he'll help you, but it's like an old time store where you get however many beans or pieces of candy you want, just self serve.

AHB needs to sneak around and find out where Mid West gets those insulated pouches and boxes at and they would be good to go.:mug:

We looked into the insulated bags but they make the problem worse. While they keep the yeast a little cooler while the ice pack is cold, once the ice pack is thawed, the yeast is now in an oven. The isulated bag get really warm inside. Much hotter than if the bag wasn't there. I warned Midwest about this and they said they were doing fine with them. Oh well.

My store name is abbreviated the most but it is always something different. AHB is Annapolis Homebrew. People use AHS, AHBS, AHB, and others to mean Austin Homebrew Supply. Please do me and newbies a favor and just say Austin Homebrew instead of abbreviating. Mentioning our full name (a link is even better) moves us up the search engines. When newbies search Google for AHS the won't find anything related to homebrew. Maybe American Home Shield insurance.

Thanks for understanding
Forrest

We looked into the insulated bags but they make the problem worse. While they keep the yeast a little cooler while the ice pack is cold, once the ice pack is thawed, the yeast is now in an oven. The isulated bag get really warm inside. Much hotter than if the bag wasn't there. I warned Midwest about this and they said they were doing fine with them. Oh well.

My store name is abbreviated the most but it is always something different. AHB is Annapolis Homebrew. People use AHS, AHBS, AHB, and others to mean Austin Homebrew Supply. Please do me and newbies a favor and just say Austin Homebrew instead of abbreviating. Mentioning our full name (a link is even better) moves us up the search engines. When newbies search Google for AHS the won't find anything related to homebrew. Maybe American Home Shield insurance.

Thanks for understanding
Forrest

Thanks for the info on the bags and I will be sure to use your full store name from now on. I can't wait to taste my Little Kings Cream ale, but the crush was just fine and your instructions were the best I've seen so far. Since this was my first all grain and was doing fly sparging like your instructions, this was a big help.:mug:

Sorry, I misread your post. :eek:
I've used that too and got 10% off. I keep enough specialty malts around that I didn't enter a real recipe though. I wish there was an option for uncrushed grain instead of having to email them.

can't remember if there is a button in the new brew builder but i think you just leave a message saying no crush in the comments field now and you are good. enjoy.

MoreBeer has some inventory issues but otherwise they've been great customer service wise to me. Once they were out of 2oz packs of a hop variety and offered to send me a 4oz pack for the same price. Another time the lid on a 5 pound tub of PBW cracked and spilled a bunch in the package. They shipped a new one out the next day for free.

I'd probably experiment with some other retailers if they had USPS shipping calculators to Alaska on their websites. It's kind of a hassle to e-mail them and ask for a USPS shipping quote which is something I like to know before I place an order or for future purchase planning. No way in hell am I'm going to pay UPS/Fed Ex shipping here, cheapest UPS shipping option from AHS for 5# order of malt is $38 and USPS would be less than half that (though I don't order malt online for shipping cost reasons, but say a 5 pound order of anything else is spendy).

I just ordered from Austin homebrew yesterday and they sent me a confirmation a few hours later that my package is all packed and ready to go! Wow!

Just for another data point, I live in the Bay Area, so I don't usually order online from Morebeer, but the couple of times I have, they've been really fantastic. I got a confirmation immediately, and even with the free shipping that they say may take a few days, I received the package just a couple of days after the order was placed.

Their in-store customer service has also been fantastic. They have always seemed really knowledgeable and helpful, plus the email support has been good about answering any questions that have popped up.

I've also had great results ordering stuff from Northern Brewer, so my take is that there's several good options online. I've been going with whoever is the cheapest and closest to me, which has worked well so far.

OK so I just tasted my morebeer beers after I kegged and carbed them and they are fantastic. Really fantastic. I made an American Ale and a Munich Helles and they are great.

However, I am trying Austin Homebrew this time just because I would like to try something new.

I wish there was an option for uncrushed grain instead of having to email them.

There is an option at checkout for choosing the grains crushed or uncrushed, as well as the ability to enter any special instructions. This was part of a relatively recent update, so you may not have seen it yet.

Ed

The fact is both B3 and AHS have improved. You ignored that didn't you?

Improved? What was B3 like before? I shop there because they are less than 10 miles from my house, but there is typically at least one thing they are out of I need.

•Wine thief
•Black malt
•Gypsum (when I went back to get the black malt when if came in)
•US-05 yeast

Thats 4 things and today I just brewed my 4th beer :drunk:

I'll keep shopping there because they are close to me, but I think I need to reevaluate going there the day/day before I want to brew unless I want to improvise.

As far as customer service goes, I'd consider them adequate. I worked retail for over 4 years and I don't feel like they give me the same attention I gave to customers.

In general, all I can say is I feel blessed to have several very good suppliers to choose from for homebrewing orders. Too often, I find myself trying to choose a supplier who is the lesser of (2, 3 ... more) evils. I tried to stop going to auto mechanics that don't treat me right, eventually you end up travelling a long way to get your car worked on! I have been thoroughly impressed with the whole homebrew "family" and especially our suppliers and members here on HBT! The good thing, going back to the original post, is that if you choose any of the suppliers mentioned, considering the information and strengths mentioned, you will likely have a good experience. I wish many other retailers could be as good as some of the worst homebrew retailers!

Improved? What was B3 like before? I shop there because they are less than 10 miles from my house, but there is typically at least one thing they are out of I need.

As far as customer service goes, I'd consider them adequate. I worked retail for over 4 years and I don't feel like they give me the same attention I gave to customers.

It used to be Fermentation Frenzy and was AWESOME customer service but the prices were a little higher and they didn't have quite as large an inventory. I haven't seen Phil (the original owner) there the last few times I was there and suspect the CS has suffered from that. That being said I still like the shop and make the trip down there regularly from up here. It doesn't hurt that I have an excuse to stop at Ditmer's and Fry's on the same trip.

Is that the best you could come up with? Could even I ask why? I mean they have been over and beyond for me with my orders. There are pretty much my only LHBS and homebrew club. I'd like an explanation not just a lazy post (if you have any?) If that is the real feelings of this place...** sucks.

I think all of the pot shot threads I've seen here should have been close or deleted before at least 30 days and no products shipped. Like AHS has said "they don't just go away" even though nobody ever got ripped off. The only rip off is leaving this kind of crap on the web.

Good for you.

I've seen members here give undeserved allegiance to them and then do 180*. It only took me three orders and I was done. They need cheerleaders, play it as long you can stand it.

As for improvements, if any-too late.;)

Have YOU tried all the others out there, or is your sampling from just a small lot?

I order most of my staples in bulk but when I need just some specialty grain or yeast I use Austin or Brewmasters 99% of the time . More beer while having some great sales like the 3 gallon corny's for 49.95$ seem to have at least one item backordered/out of stock every time I order .Last time it was the 3/16 beer lines . They did however notify me that same day as the order was placed and gave me a few option I ended up just deleting the lines.

With the flat rate shipping Austin orders are usually 5 days from time of order and Brewmasters is 3 and sometimes as little as 2 . And thats because of location.

I have to go with Austin Homebrew Supply. Of course, I live in TX, but usually get my order the next day or sometimes the second day with their flat rate shipping. Prices are competitive, customer service is excellent. Also, if you're looking for a partial mash or an all grain kit, they have a great selection. Morebeer's selection shrinks considerably unless you're going with an extract kit.

I have to go with Austin Homebrew Supply. Of course, I live in TX, but usually get my order the next day or sometimes the second day with their flat rate shipping.

I have done buisness with Midwest previously, but their kits are limited in details (like estimated ABV or even SG) but love my keging system I got from them. They do have great prices on alot of their equipment, and they will see a couple more orders from me some day.

I made one purchace from AHS and had great results. I called with a couple questions, and whoever answered the phone made sure i got exactly what I needed. Placed my order by 1:00pm, had confirmation by 5, and a package on my doorstep the next day.

I do most of my shopping at my LHBS (Fort Worth Homebrew), because they do alot for the local brewers, but will definatly be doing most of my online orders with AHS.

Just my two cents here. I find that AHS commercial clone kits are the closes to the real thing that I have found.

I have only dealt with Austin Homebrew so I cannot commit on any others. Austin has been great to me. I have been in their store a few times and when I go to ASustin, I usually try to get all the stuff (kits) I need for a month or two. They can answer all my questions and never get tired of this newbe asking them.

I've only bought from Northern Brewer, but if I ever need to buy online again, I'll def try Austin and Brewmasters. The only thing I have bought from B3 is an AHA membership. I didn't have any issues with it. I try to remember the deal of the day, but every time I remember, they don't have anything I want, if the sale is still on.

I do like the recipinator thing at brewmasters. Pretty cool!

The big reason was because I wanted to give the business to you guys. I have been down to your store and visited with the staff (of course, on a slower day) and really like what you are doing for the home brewing community. Like I said in my post, $5 was not the end of the world, but I figured since I was already ordering a couple of AG kits I would throw it in the order. I still ordered the kits, but was a little threw off by the response.

I don't mind throwing kudos when it is earned, but like all businesses - it is the customer who keeps the doors open. Reminds me of a story I learned when I was studying the business of customer service:

Pickle Principle - how it all began

No company is perfect like you say - the difference is the ones that try to change what is broken and excel at what works. Keep up the good work - and give em the pickle! ;)

If you were really trying to "give them the business" then you would have just paid the listed price without haggling. If you wanted the lowest price, you would have haggled, which you did. There is nothing wrong with haggling, just don't say one thing and mean another. What is the point of giving them the business when you want to cut out their profit?

I'm glad it has worked out for you in the end.

Eric

If you were really trying to "give them the business" then you would have just paid the listed price without haggling. If you wanted the lowest price, you would have haggled, which you did. There is nothing wrong with haggling, just don't say one thing and mean another. What is the point of giving them the business when you want to cut out their profit?

Eric

I've found that some people think haggling is right and not a privilege, or that price matching is required instead of optional. So when they are denied, it's an outrage. I'm not sure if it's conscious or not but some people will actually put price matching or haggling at the top of the priority list when it comes to judging a place. I can't wrap my head around that point of view. Instead of product (quality items, fresh, good variety, good stock), or service (pleasant people, knowledgeable staff, good response time), or even value (reasonable price, no hidden fees, no complicated rebates), some people will put haggling and price matching above or at least near the top of the rest. It's like it's more about getting a thrill over working a deal instead of just getting a good product.

Maybe I'm too easy going but I don't expect a free pickle when I walk into a burger joint. But according to that link I guess I could expect a neck massage. Instead of finding out what I can get for free I've been stupidly just looking for a place that makes a really good burger for a good price with good service.

•Wine thief
•Black malt
•Gypsum (when I went back to get the black malt when if came in)
•US-05 yeast

Thats 4 things and today I just brewed my 4th beer :drunk:

I'll keep shopping there because they are close to me, but I think I need to reevaluate going there the day/day before I want to brew unless I want to improvise.

Are you talking about the Los Altos or the Concord location? Based on your location and saying they are 10 miles from you house, I'm guessing Los Altos.

I think sometimes that can be a difference people aren't recognizing. They have mutliple showrooms and their main warehouse is up in Concord. I have found people up there to be helpful. I really can't speak to their other locations. It's quite possible they are complete idiots there!

Sometimes they don't do a good job of restocking their shelves in Concord, or updating their website for that matter, and you often have to ask to find out if they have something in stock. A lot of times they do, but any comments I make about them are referring to their main location.

However, I would order from Austin Homebrew Supply in a heartbeat as I've also had GREAT success using them in the past.

Eric

You make a valid point. I try to overlook one instance when I have had great service in the past - that is why I try to give them the business. However, if one store has an item for a set price, and other stores have the exact same item for a lower price - I see no reason to pay a unjustified higher price JUST because of the service. Lets not mistake good service with economics here.

There is haggling for the thrill of it, and there is responsible price comparison on identical items/quality.

But to the original post - AHS is a great place to shop and the owners do care about customer satisfaction - just watch the non-ingredient item prices. Not shopped at Morebeer yet - I have not had a reason to yet. HTH.

Dan

I've found that some people think haggling is right and not a privilege, or that price matching is required instead of optional. So when they are denied, it's an outrage. I'm not sure if it's conscious or not but some people will actually put price matching or haggling at the top of the priority list when it comes to judging a place. I can't wrap my head around that point of view. Instead of product (quality items, fresh, good variety, good stock), or service (pleasant people, knowledgeable staff, good response time), or even value (reasonable price, no hidden fees, no complicated rebates), some people will put haggling and price matching above or at least near the top of the rest. It's like it's more about getting a thrill over working a deal instead of just getting a good product.

Maybe I'm too easy going but I don't expect a free pickle when I walk into a burger joint. But according to that link I guess I could expect a neck massage. Instead of finding out what I can get for free I've been stupidly just looking for a place that makes a really good burger for a good price with good service.

I agree.

I also would like to say I've purchased items from Austin Homebrew, and I will continue to purchase items from them. I just wish I could visit the store in person; it sounds like it's awesome! (I'm in the UP of MI. Far, far away.)

I read most of the posts in this thread, and I'll put in my two cents if it's worth something to someone.

I've bought from pretty much every online HBS, and my favorite so far is AHS. Their recipe kits are KILLER - you can buy every kit in any form you want (extract, partial, AG) - most stores have specific kits for the specific type of method you're brewing. Their prices are competitive to other places, and the shipping is what you'd expect..it's not Newegg (3 days guaranteed, usually less) but unless you're spoiled by fast shipping it won't matter much to you.

Like others have said, you pay for higher prices with the free shipping on morebeer. The only things I'd buy from them are the items you can get at other stores for the same price and take advantage of the free shipping. I bet you won't find much ;) I know, I've looked.

Latest posts

Back