MoreBeer Firestone Walker Pale 31 kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwalker1140

Reaction score
Can someone post the recipe for the all grain version of this kit? One of the CYBI guys cloned it but the recipe was a blend of Trader Joe's Mission St. Pale Ale and Double Barrel Ale. I would really like to find a good single-batch recipe for this beer.

The ingredient list posted on the MB website seems to be the same as for the CYBI recipe for Mission St. Pale Ale, but I'm sure the amounts and times are different.

So, can someone help a brother out?

Bump for this...wondering the exact same thing. It's not really a Pale 31 clone without something from the double barrel contributing (whether in the grain bill, etc).

Just to let you know, I have brewed the Pale 31 clone from Austin Homebrew and I think it is VERY close to the real thing.

Just to let you know, I have brewed the Pale 31 clone from Austin Homebrew and I think it is VERY close to the real thing.
I'm a little surprised because it looks like they sell this kit with a Cal ale strain and Matt Brynildson said they use a British strain (002 was used by the CYBI guy and 1098 is what MB offers). The CYBI guy did pitch and ferment pretty cool though, so I suppose that cut down on some of the yeast flavors.

Yeah I am almost tempted to buy the kit just to try it....Pale 31 is one of my favorites (that I can't get on the East Coast). I would probably get the extract kit....

I was thinking of calling them and asking them if I could build it piecemeal without the LME (do DME instead).

So I emailed them and they sent me a PDF of the kit instructions so I could build it piecemeal....

AG:
8lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs munich
.5 lb carapils

.25 oz fuggles (90 min)
.25 oz chinook (30 min)
1 oz centennial (0 min)
1 oz cascade (0 min)
1 oz cascade (DH 3-5 days)
1 oz centennial (DH 3-5 days)

A few things.....No yeast suggestions on the sheet....Some say to use 1098, others say 1968. Also, the IBU's they have listed say 11-14 (which has to be a typo). Someone can run the numbers and confirm....

The original uses some Maris Otter (with the 2 row), and has Chinook added in the DH. However, since the original is a blend of 2 beers maybe this may be dead on for a beer without blending.

I think I am going to place an order for the stuff and make it.

**For extract just subtract 2 row for 7lbs Ultralight malt extract and .25lbs maltodextrin** everything else is the same.

Enjoy!

That's awesome, thanks so much for posting! The recipe is pretty much the same recipe CYBI gave for Mission St Pale Ale.

Regarding the low IBUs, I remember from the CYBI podcast that Firestone Walker does a 45-min whirlpool, which provides additional IBUs that the Rager scale doesn't recognize. Matt suggested that brewers who do not do such a long whirlpool should adjust the timing of the additions to reach their IBU contribution targets, which are fuggles: 5 IBUs, chinook: 10 IBUs, and cascade/centennial combined: 25 IBUs.

Since the CYBI guy (Chad, as I see from my notes) didn't do a whirlpool, he just moved the chinook back to 60 minutes and the first cascade/centennial addition back to 30 minutes in order to reach the targets. For my system, BeerSmith tells me to move chinook back to 40 min and cascade/centennial back to 25 min.

Regarding the yeast, at the bottom of the order page for the kit on the MoreBeer site they have a "you might also need" section where they list 1098 and 005. Chad used 002 when he cloned the beer. I guess any of these will work, if you can get the proper attenuation.

Thanks again for posting!
:mug:

Yeah, you're totally welcome!

The MoreBeer guys are awesome. Have been doing business with them for years when I was in California and am so glad they now have a warehouse in Western PA.

I may do a 5 gallon and try a split between 1098 and 1968 (also heard the 1318 strain is very similar to 1968 but not nearly as fickle). I don't usually use either strain so it should be interesting to see how it turns out!

I'll be brewing this today. Just a note for anyone who gets this kit, either watch the perfect pale ale DVD or listen to the CYBI episode first. The instruction sheet morebeer sends with it are severely lacking in important details needed to make this beer.

Some notes I took-
Grain/Grist ratio 1.4
OG-11.5 Plato
FG-2.5 Plato
Mash at 145 for 45min then step to 155 for 15.
You'll need to do a hop stand or whirlpool for 20 minutes before cooling to pull some IBU's from the 0 min addition since the boil hops only account for 12 IBU's of the 38 IBU's needed.
Pitch at 17C ferment at 19C
Dryhop for 3 days.

Hope this helps, if they are going to sell this kit as a clone they should probably mention the hop stand since it's a huge part of the bittering.

This is the recipe I've used a few times, does a pretty good job, Can't remember exactly where I got it from but definitely mostly from listening to the CYBI broadcast. Pretty similar to above but I would think the additional hop additions would make a difference. I've missed out the dry hop but that would make it more authentic.

8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt 73.7 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L 10.8 %
1 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 8.7 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 4.3 %
4.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 2.4 %
27.6g Fuggles [5.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min 18.5 IBUs
16.175 g Chinook [11.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min 8.5 IBUs
14.175 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 6.5 IBUs
11.675 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min 3.6 IBUs
14.175 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
14.175 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
14.175 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 ml]

Mash In 145.0 F 60 min
Mash Step 155.0 F 10 min

So, I brewed this up and my 1098 starter didn't take, so I pitched a pack of notty. It ended up drier and more prickly than I was going for.

I am going to do a rebrew soon, but use a different yeast (Maybe Wyeast 1318)

So I did a rebrew of this....used 1318 (instead of notty) and while its not exactly like pale 31, its pretty darn close. Had one yesterday after its been in the bottle for 3-4 weeks....I am totally digging it. The hop nose needs to be bigger, but I am so glad I made 5 gallons of this. May adjust the hops a little next time.

Back