more stout talk....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelero

Reaction score
dunno whether this belongs in the recipes forum or beginniners, but since i'm only on batch 6, i've come here...

so I made the run mill stout out of palmer's book, and i'm a little disappointed in the color. I really wanted something inky black. i know this doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I was looking for something really dark. also, I've been reading a bit about different stout recipes, and am a little confused. palmer's with equal parts roasted barley and crystal malt. jamil says crystal does not belong in a stout. randy mosher's base stout recipe doesn't even have roasted barley. I guess it's too late to darken it up now, but in the future I think i'd like less crystal and more chocolate and black patent. anyone with ideas/musings....
thanks,
c

Have you tried using brewing software? You can enter your grain bill and the program will provide a pretty decent estimation of what color to expect before you brew.

yes, after the fact of course. and the projected color for this particular beer is amazingly accurate so far.

thanks! i also used 1/2 poind roasted barley, but maybe i didn't crush it fine enough? i sure thought i did. here's my recipe:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.60 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 86.84 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.58 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6.58 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

That roasted barley has an SRM of 300. The one I used was 575. That's going to make a HUGE color difference. Like the difference between dark bitter chocolate, and creamy extra light milk chocolate or amber.

Stouts are my favorite, and almost more than any type of beer, can vary WILDLY on both taste and color.

So....while you can darken the beer a number of ways, you might not get the taste profile you want. Also, looking at your post, I assume you are using extract with steeped grains?

Let me know what types of stouts you are looking for and I may be able to help a bit on some ideas.

Be patient, you'll soon get there and you'll love it when you make/get the beer you are after!

yes, extract plus steeping grains. well, I like the dry stouts, and the oatmeal stout and cream stout-idon't want it too sweet. but, I can't get flaked barley or flaked wheat here. and i guess with the oatmeal, i have to do some kind of mini mash, but i'm not real sure how to do that, either.

thanks! i also used 1/2 poind roasted barley, but maybe i didn't crush it fine enough? i sure thought i did. here's my recipe:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.60 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 86.84 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.58 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 6.58 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Try using some Amber DME for a darker color too...I have a sweet stout recipe that is mighty delicious that you can view under "My Recipes" it isn't quite "black" but a very, very dark-chocolate brown. I may add a bit of black patent or up the roasted barley or chocolate malt for a darker color next time I brew it.

Back