More salami in the chamber of meatiness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My cheese cave is in salami mode. I have a temperature and humidity controller to keep the temp at 60F and humidity at 70% RH.

I've made these a couple of times before, but this time I'm experimenting with a wider casing (65mm, 2.5") and a different acidifying culture (T-SPX this time). So now it's just a waiting game for the meat to dry out to about 65% of it's original weight. Drying too fast is bad: it causes "case hardening", where the outside of the salami gets too hard and doesn't let the inside dry out. So, the humidity must be elevated artificially. I have a makeshift humidifier that I might explain here later - works awesome.

1643943497759.png

1643942607552.png

Oh man, I've started going down the sausage-making rabbit hole. God help me . . .

My wife isn't even surprised anymore. I guess sausage making (and homebrewing) are cheaper than a mistress? Or a sports car, which i'm working on too . . .

Latest posts

Back