More Malt than Extract Effects on Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smAllGrain

Reaction score
I live in IA and am currently brewing inside because... well.... It's cold outside :cross:

I usually do AG and am able to get 3.5 gallons post boil when brewing on my stove top. I want to do Yoopers Dead Guy Clone and I know I want 5Gals vs 3 so I was thinking, why don't I add some DME, and top off with some water? I have been on a journey figuring out my water issues and don't want any issues with another batch so.... If I use say 8lbs of grain, add 3lbs of DME, do I need to adjust my water profile? I know that the DME has salts in etc, so I don't want to overshoot anything (if that is even a concern?). I think I would treat my water like usual, mash, add DME during boil, top off to 5.5 Gals with RO water. Any issues with that? Since I am adding DME do I need to add less salts? Less Calcium Chloride to be exact? I know its a small amount of DME but I honestly have no idea if there would be any effects.

Appreciate the help as always :mug:

I'll be glad to help with making a partial mash recipe on this for you.

You will need to adjust your water adjustments to account for extract. Actually, you say you're having issues with water, I'd recommend just using straight RO drinking water from the store, until you have your process nailed down. Take water out of the equation and it'll still make fine beer.

I don't think you would have any issues either way you do it. Topping up with RO sounds a little bit safer but I don't think the amount of minerals in the DME added into the amount of minerals in your brewing liquor would make a huge difference unless your brewing liquor was already at the upper limits of any given mineral.

I'll be glad to help with making a partial mash recipe on this for you.

You will need to adjust your water adjustments to account for extract. Actually, you say you're having issues with water, I'd recommend just using straight RO drinking water from the store, until you have your process nailed down. Take water out of the equation and it'll still make fine beer.

Weezy,

I have figured out the issue when it comes to doing straight AG. For this recipe I just need to treat my water with Camden tablets and add a little Calcium Chloride. I just didn't know if adding DME would affect the amount of Calcium Chloride I need to add? If so, how much does it affect it? I had planned on adding just a small amount of extract to hit my gravity points and using Grain to reach the rest.

If the changes are minimal then great I will just keep my calculations the change, I just don't want to make a bad beer after I finally figured out how to make a good AG beer

I don't think you would have any issues either way you do it. Topping up with RO sounds a little bit safer but I don't think the amount of minerals in the DME added into the amount of minerals in your brewing liquor would make a huge difference unless your brewing liquor was already at the upper limits of any given mineral.

This ^^ is what I was wondering. so you think if I treat my Mash\sparge water just calculating what I need for the grain portion (so treat just 5Gal of water),which will produce the majority of my wort, and then top off with RO water I wouldn't have any issues?

This ^^ is what I was wondering. so you think if I treat my Mash\sparge water just calculating what I need for the grain portion (so treat just 5Gal of water),which will produce the majority of my wort, and then top off with RO water I wouldn't have any issues?

Yeah you should be fine.

Back