More equipment or more beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hepkat701

Reaction score
So with our fourth kid on its way my funds have been limited lately... so says the SWMBO anyways. So with the small amounts of cash I have for now I am torn between building a brewtus or buying ingredients and making beer. What would you do?

If you have a setup that's manageable for you and turns out good batches I would opt for more beer.

I agree with more beer. I have a second one on the way and I am already planning a brew schedule to make sure I have plenty on hand because there won't be much brewing for a bit after it's born.

Equipment you can always pick up a bit at a time as the resources allow so you can slowly start working towards a better system. Plus it gives you something to retreat to the garage/brew shed for to have some quiet time!

If you have a setup that's manageable for you and turns out good batches I would opt for more beer.

+1

I'm always drooling over brew sculptures. But with a couple turkey fryers and my pumps and chiller screwed into a 4x4 post (which sits on cinder blocks), I have a system that allows me to brew great beer, 10 gallon batches, without needing an assistant to help me carry/move anything. It's ugly, but it works.

We just brought home our 3rd yesterday, so I'm with you -- can't be dropping coin buying brew sculptures when what I've got works fine...

Just brew more beer. After my convo with the owner of my LHBS, he brews between 6-800 gal/yr on his 5gal AG system. That makes me believe that if there's a will, there's a way. No need for a 20gal system.

If your ferm temp control is good, I'd say more beer!

Otherwise, skip the brutus and nail down ferm temps (not saying you haven't already). Otherwise, perfect your technique by brewing more batches!

If your current system works well and you make good beer, then I vote for just using your limited funds to brew more beer...

You will need it.

Time will be a premium. If you can upgrade equipment to save time during the brew day, I would opt for the equipment upgrade.

Latest posts

Back