More Crystal 120 than Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBott

Reaction score
Hey all,

My local shop gave me an extra half pound of crystal 120. I'm wondering if it would make that big ago a difference if I just threw it in. I am making an ESB with:

12lbs Maris Otter
.5lbs Crystal 20L
.25lbs Crystal 120L (Shop gave me .75lbs.)

Any help would be great.

I once inadvertently bumped Special B from 2% to 4%. Holy nutty raisins.
😮 To me, even 8% wasn't enough to lend a proper character to a Belgian Dark Strong 😮
We must have different Special Bee's or rather different palates 👅

I am making an ESB with:

12lbs Maris Otter
.5lbs Crystal 20L
.25lbs Crystal 120L (Shop gave me .75lbs.)
.75lbs in this grist will be circa 6%.
That's too much for an ESB. But it's nothing for a Baltic Porter. Some of Polish historical iterations of the style used as much as 34% Dark Crystal, and 10-12% was a standard. I've brewed a Polish Baltic Porter with 34% Dark Crystal. If brewed correctly and then aged for at least half a year, it's a grandioso beer.

I see now. An English strong. I thought it was a Belgian one. Still surprised that 2% difference might evoke a strong impression. I find SpecB pretty underwhelming. Maybe I've been using not the freshest batches, idk.

.75lbs in this grist will be circa 6%.
That's too much for an ESB. But it's nothing for a Baltic Porter. Some of Polish historical iterations of the style used as much as 34% Dark Crystal, and 10-12% was a standard. I've brewed a Polish Baltic Porter with 34% Dark Crystal. If brewed correctly and then aged for at least half a year, it's a grandioso beer.

How dark was the crystal in that recipe??

The original recipe from 1935 prescribed "Karmelowy Ciemny", that is Dark Crystal, so I used 120L.
An incredible beer: syrupy, chewy, very intensive molasses-like flavour. High strength at 10%ABV and prolonged aging level out the strong flavours. High acidity from the Dark Crystal must be counterbalanced with hard brewing water. Very special beer, liked it a lot. Rebrewed it this winter, waiting for it to age properly.

Although, I have to say I prefer Baltic Porter recipes with Dark Crystal at 10 to 12% of the grist, they taste less extreme and better balanced.

Last edited:
Back