More beer all grain kit estimated OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlitheryDee

General Manager
Reaction score
So I got the berry beer kit (KIT: 431 on their site) from morebeer. It’s an all grain kit with and estimated OG of 1.041-45 for a 5 gallon batch according to the instructions included with the kit. They’re assuming 70% efficiency. The ingredients included are as follows:

10# 2-row
1# white wheat
8 oz carapils
8 oz crystal
.5 oz cascade hops
Whirlfloc
Priming sugar

Yeast isn’t included but I plan to use San Diego super yeast for this one.

The problem is that when I input all this into BeerSmith, set the batch size to 5 gallons, and the efficiency to 70% I get an OG of 1.060. I usually get 75-80% efficiency, so realistically it will be higher than that on brew day. That’s waay higher than their estimate of 1.041-45. Im not sure how there could be that large of a difference unless I screwed something up in my recipe entry. I’m mostly just looking for a sanity check here. Does everyone else get the same results as me when they enter this recipe into beersmith (or similar software), or has something gone awry in my settings somewhere?

No I agree, that doesn't look right for a 12 lb grainbill. They might be calculating this for like 6 gal of wort so you get 5 at least finished, but even then I'd expect something more in the 1.050 range. In contrast their Blond ale kit which is supposed to have a higher gravity of 1.044-48 only has 9.5 lbs of grain.

No I agree, that doesn't look right for a 12 lb grainbill. They might be calculating this for like 6 gal of wort so you get 5 at least finished, but even then I'd expect something more in the 1.050 range. In contrast their Blond ale kit which is supposed to have a higher gravity of 1.044-48 only has 9.5 lbs of grain.

Yeah I thought it might be bottling volume they were talking about, but it still didn’t add up. I may just make it a 6 gallon batch anyway because I was looking for a somewhat chuggable beer with this one. At least I’m probably not way off anywhere in my entry. Thanks!

So I got the berry beer kit (KIT: 431 on their site) from morebeer. It’s an all grain kit with and estimated OG of 1.041-45 for a 5 gallon batch according to the instructions included with the kit. They’re assuming 70% efficiency. The ingredients included are as follows:

10# 2-row
1# white wheat
8 oz carapils
8 oz crystal
.5 oz cascade hops
Whirlfloc
Priming sugar

Yeast isn’t included but I plan to use San Diego super yeast for this one.

The problem is that when I input all this into BeerSmith, set the batch size to 5 gallons, and the efficiency to 70% I get an OG of 1.060. I usually get 75-80% efficiency, so realistically it will be higher than that on brew day. That’s waay higher than their estimate of 1.041-45. Im not sure how there could be that large of a difference unless I screwed something up in my recipe entry. I’m mostly just looking for a sanity check here. Does everyone else get the same results as me when they enter this recipe into beersmith (or similar software), or has something gone awry in my settings somewhere?

Way late but their recipes are based on 5.5gal post-boil. You’re not crazy lol. Personally I’m wondering what efficiency they assume (which is how I got here).

Latest posts

Back