Moratorium for BJCP Winners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should there be a Moratorium for BJCP National Winners?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
JZ doesn't earn his living from selling homebrew books and appearing on The Brewing Network. Pretty sure he's a manager for some tech firm. Pretty sure Ray Daniels has a dayjob, as well. I'd wager that there are precious few in the "Homebrew Pantheon" who actually make their living from homebrew; maybe Papazian (not sure if he does other work or not).

So, maybe we need "amateur," "semi-pro," and "pro" divisions... ;)

Here is a thought:

There seems to be a lot of confusion about competition rules. Rules for the competition are set by the sponsoring organization, which for the NHC is the AHA and which is never the BJCP. Most organizations will use BJCP guidelines and seek BJCP judges, but they don't have to.

The reason competitions have similar rules is that the people who organize competitions and compete a lot of sort of settled on those rules.

If you want to have a competition with division for experts and novices and in which blending or entering beer that has won a medal before are against the rules, you may do so.

Thats very true. Most competitions will seek "BJCP sanctioning" since BJCP judges have been through some sort of training process, taken a rigorous exam, and have been somewhat proven to be a competent judge. If a certain comp wants to set its own rules, like no NHC winners, that is completely up to them.

Straight from the BJCP website:
The purpose of the BJCP is to promote beer literacy and the appreciation of real beer, and to recognize beer tasting and evaluation skills.

Let me clarify a several comments:

1.) No hidden agenda.
2.) Not aimed towards anyone
3.) Not looking to create a JV team.
4.) Never entered a contest.
5.) Kevin Costner is not a baseball player but plays one on the Big Screen.

I would enter a competition for the feedback. I'm at that point in my homebrewing career. At some point I might be looking forward to winning, and maybe even winning first place. If Jamil, Tasty, or any of the people who brew the best homebrew, and win a lot are not competing, it cheapens the whole deal.

You simply cannot separate pro brewers from homebrewers. Many homebrewers brew on rigs that rival pros. Some pros homebrew. I suspect that not many enter contests though. I say that as long as the beer entered into the competition was homebrewed (not brewed on equipment that brews beer for sale), then it should be allowed. Most competitions have rules in place to keep out the pros.

Not saying the they are banned forever, maybe just for a year or for a particular category?

The more I think of this the more I like the comment about legends. Without them winning so many contests there would be no Jamil's or Tasty's or Kai's of this world.

But then again, Johnson keeps winning races even though it is with a different car. Do you think that this would force someone to brew different brews to win different categories and limit them from entering the same brew every year? Now that would be a legend, winning first in every category!

I believe golf is the only one that prohibits one from competing in an "Amateur" competition after you have declared yourself as a "Professional"

And I say let them keep being the only ones.

Here's the thing, something someone earlier in the thread kinda mentioned.

I was hanging out this weekend with an HBT regular who (I didn't know this before) entered a competition that JZ was also entered in... and lost to him by ONE freakin' point. Now, obviously he would have preferred to have won, but had he gotten that one extra point....

Would you rather be able to beat "the best", or not have the best brewers in the contest to begin with? How do you REALLY know how your stuff stands up, if you deliberately limit the competition?

Sounds like the OP's really looking for a JV team.

No why do you have to insult to OP? This was a hypothetical. The thought hit me when they retired Jr.'s Car after winning the Daytona 500. Then I thought about footbal where the best teams get the pick of the litter on draft day, then the word draft reminded me that I needed a beer, and the thought dwelled into beer comps.

Just thought it might make for good conversation but obviously it hit a sore spot for you bird.

Willie3, did you really just come back to defend yourself nearly 3 years after the comments that The_Bird posted? Holy Necropost?!?!?!?

And for the record, and to stay on topic, I think any sort of moratorium is still a bad idea.

Holy necropost, batman!

I'd also be against the idea of a moratorium. If such a thing existed, and you were the guy that won during the year that Champ X couldn't compete, wouldn't you always wonder how you'd actually stack up against Champ X? I would.

Also - do you even know how the NFL draft works? The _worst_ teams get the pick of the litter, and the best teams pick last, barring draft pick trades. Come on, man!

Holy necropost, batman!

I'd also be against the idea of a moratorium. If such a thing existed, and you were the guy that won during the year that Champ X couldn't compete, wouldn't you always wonder how you'd actually stack up against Champ X? I would.

Also - do you even know how the NFL draft works? The _worst_ teams get the pick of the litter, and the best teams pick last, barring draft pick trades. Come on, man!

Necropost, me? LoL!! Love it!!! Just browsing through some old posts.
And yes what I meant to type is "get the runts of the litter." Thanks for pointing that out.

And for the record I never said that there should be a moratorium, I just posted the "stupid" question, or "dumb" idea.

I stand by my earlier declaration; declaring a brewer ineligible for future competitions (even for a limited period of time) is a terrible idea. It makes no sense to me - it's taking the cream of the crop and throwing it away.

Back