Moose Corners Copper Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittmania

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Fermentis US-05
Yeast Starter
N/A
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
A nice middle of the road, sessionable copper ale.
Recipe: Moose Corners Copper Ale
Brewer: Mike Wittmann
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.05 gal
Bottling Volume: 9.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 11.0 SRM (According to Beersmith, I think it's darker... 18?)
Estimated IBU: 30.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 90.9 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.5 %
4.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.1 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.4 %
1.00 oz Chinook [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 21.3 IBUs
2.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 9.7 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 8 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 22 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 27.50 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

I don't have any chinook hops (or any of the listed substitutes in BeerSmith). Do you think I could use a slightly larger amount og northern brewer hops instead for the bittering hops to get the same IBU's w/o affecting the taste by much?

I brew this about half the time with Chinook and half the time with Columbus. Chinook is slightly piney and Columbus is more citrus. Northern Brewer will be closer to Columbus, and it will work very well in this recipe. Plus, adding them at 60 you'll probably barely notice the difference, if any.

Let me know how this turns out for you. I just brewed 10 gallons of it 20 days ago. Looking forward to kegging it in another 10 days. I could rush it, but the long primary seems to help this beer come into its own.

I agree that longer primary time seems to help my beers come into theor own. I have not brewed a cooper beer before so I am anxious to give this one a try as soon as we get enough snow to help me chill the wort.

Thanks for the reply and I will get back to you in 6-8 weeks with a report.

Still curious... did you ever get around to making this? I'm hoping to brew it again soon so it's ready to go for this Fall. It's such a good Autumn beer that my friends are already requesting it.

This turned out very well using the NB hop addition at 60 minutes in place of the chinock. Now I have that I some chinock hops I want to try the original recipe. However, our temps of 95-100 F are not cooperating with brewing this week.

brewed this up yesterday, but messed up my OG. used to doing 1 gallon batches but did a 2 gallon for this one, totally spaced and didnt realize i shouldve expected a longer boil time with more wort- ended up with final of 2.4 gals instead of 2 so OG dropped from expected 1.060 to 1.052. guess it will just be a bit hoppier! so far the smell coming out the jug during fermentation is amazing!

Back