Monitoring Temperature in Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbbrewing

Reaction score
So I'm only just starting to dabble into the world of home brewing, i have only made 3 beers and all of which were okay. They had the fruity flavor in them, i haven't really monitored a way in which to tell what the temperature is exactly inside of the bucket.

The last beer i had i put one of those adhesive things on the side and it said that the temp was 66. I believe that my brew is to warm while fermenting and that is where the off flavor is coming. What is the best way to monitor temp in a brew bucket? How would i get a probe in there without compromising oxygen getting in?

Thanks

If your bucket lid has a hole for a bung and airlock, you could use a thermowell. That would allow you get get a thermometer (or, even better, the temperature probe of a temperature controller such as an STC-1000) right down into the heart of the beer without actually contacting it.

The temp gauge on the side should be fine, more so if you are showing the lower end of the temp range for your yeast. I use a digital fish tank thermometer and I drop the probe in the wort. When I am done I will wash it off and let it sent a jar of star sans until next time and I have never had any issues. :rockin:

I just have the one hole in the lid for an airlock, should i drill another one for a thermowell? I wanted to get one of those controllers, they seem awesome!

Another option if you get a temperature controller is to fix the probe to the side of the FV and insulate it against the ambient temperature. This is used to power on/off a cooling and/or heating device.

Like So Cold Crashed Beer.jpg

If you go with a thermowell you may not need another hole.

A stopper like this one with an airlock and thermowell is one solution.

thermowell.jpg

So i am very new to this, may be a dumb question but how exactly do those controllers work. Like the STC-1000 or the Johnson ones. do you just set it to a temperature and the little device heats or cools the area?

So i am very new to this, may be a dumb question but how exactly do those controllers work. Like the STC-1000 or the Johnson ones. do you just set it to a temperature and the little device heats or cools the area?

The STC 1000 acts as a switch. You set it to the desired temperature and give it a bit of wiggle room (+/- 0.3C on mine)

It will turn on either a heat source or a cool source depending on whether the measured temp is too low or too high.

I'm in Texas so rarely attach any heat source. I use the STC1000 to control the power to the chest freezer into which I place my fermenting beer.

Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer.jpg

STC1000
attachment.php

Heat Source

Lasko Heater.jpg

The Johnson controller is more expensive ( a lot more) and can only control 1 thing. Heat or Cold. Not both.

Another controller is out now that controls both too. It's about $40.
Inkbird

819QHG-ypXL._SL1500_.jpg

The cheapest is the STC 1000 but you need to do a simple DIY yourself. It is really easy and there are lots of build threads on it on HBT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back