Money Savers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGVT

Reaction score
So...have you ever purchased something under the guise that it would save you money, but you knew that it really wasn't the case?

Maybe sold your significant other, or yourself ;) on the purchases by explaining that it will save a ton of money.

For example, I bought a Barley Crusher a couple of weeks ago for $129 and then a 50 lb sack of Two Row for $50.

Now, I bought the Barley Crusher so that I could have better control over my beer and try to improve my efficiency, but I told my wife that my beer would cost less to brew because I was buying bulk, which of course, is true

I told her(and me) I am saving about $25 per sack of grain as opposed to buying grains per batch, which is also true.

What I didn't tell her is that it will take 5 sacks of grain to break even on the purchase of the Barley Crusher and at the rate that I brew it will probably take over a year, possibly two to pay for the mill. Ha!

What purchases have you made and justified by convoluted math?

Shhhh. Why would you post something like this in general population? This is google searchable, and she will (repeat, will) find this.

That being said, if I am not receiving a barley crusher for Christmas, I will begin selling these very same points.

Only a 2 year payback? I've tried that logic and had success with more time than that. I've also failed on a few. New sports car that gets 1 mpg greater than the old SUV was a notable failure.

Well heck I am the one who has to convince myself to spend money on anything. My wife is understanding and more than willing to look the other way when I buy stuff for my hobby.

Only a 2 year payback? I've tried that logic and had success with more time than that. I've also failed on a few. New sports car that gets 1 mpg greater than the old SUV was a notable failure.

Yeah, that is certainly a stretch. Ha!

Well heck I am the one who has to convince myself to spend money on anything. My wife is understanding and more than willing to look the other way when I buy stuff for my hobby.

I'm the same way. I have mostly nickel and dimed my way through my purchases by buying things off Craig's List, looking for sales, re-purposing etc. I think it is for my justification more than for my wife's. She's pretty good about my hobby, as long as I am reasonable, of course.

She just needs to compare the difference between a store crush and a cruch that you can control.

Then there is the convenience factor.

And consider that you can also likely improve efficiency with your own crush so there is some additional savings. And you can maybe brew more often if you alway shave grains on hand, so you are saving...

No wait. That's quite the opposite. My bad.

I convinced the wifey that all grain brewing was necessary to save money. Then from there I went from propane to electric to "save" more money. She doesn't care as long as I don't go to crazy.

Holy moly! I think I killed this thread a couple years ago.

Any investment is worth the initial cost. A few years might not rain true on the return, but 20 years later sure will. I don't think anybody who outlays a few bucks now on brew gear will lose their money in the long run. The equipment available to us is good quality. And it lasts a long time

My two pennies😄😄

The Mrs. talked me into buying a mill for the cost savings. She's been pretty agreeable about most purchases except when it comes to fridges or freezers; it's all about energy consumption. I have a full size fridge for a ferm chamber and a small kegerator at present. I want to go with a bigger keezer and I think I could sell her on it if I can show that it would cost no more than my small but old and probably inefficient kegerator.

Not sure if this falls into the same category, but I bought an xbox one and now only seem to use it to pay $10 a month for xbox live/ and $8 for netflix.

Just bought mason jars to store yeast. Should be a quick payback, I tell myself. Best of all, less worrying about my on-line yeast orders baking in a hot warehouse or delivery truck during the summer.

I don't ever try to convince of money savings. but if there is something I want to make things go a little quicker or smoother on brew day, she'll support my want for it.

Back