Money for a brew system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you could...
they're kinda tall, stainless is difficult to work with and there are companies who will build stands for you...

OneHoppyGuy said:
you could...
they're kinda tall, stainless is difficult to work with and there are companies who will build stands for you...

I just haven't seem a pre built option for under $500. At this point I am pretty sure I will go the erector set "Wallace"" route,but I havent seen a stainless steel option yet that fits my budget and stainless is my first choice.

http://images.craigslist.org/5V25O25X23n83mc3o0bad9e129730321511c4.jpg

Here is a stainless steel prep table I found on craigslist for $125. It will need mods such as shortening and adding casters etc. Do you guys think this could work? It looks a little wide but for the price I can deal with that. It's also 6 feet long. Does the gauge of stainless steel matter? This is 18 gauge. Need some thoughts guys!

I built a fairly snazzy single tier setup that I love but I almost wish I had built a BIAB setup it would be far less work and a fair bit cheaper. No pumps one of every thing as apposed to three. I would couple this with a flash boiler and a chiller and still have money left over compaired to a single tier.

Go Tom! Get a cheap welder and you can teach yourself to weld mild steel, it's pretty easy and there are many instructional videos on youtube (or ask on these forums). You'll save money and will be able to do endless modifications to your stand. Mild steel is cheap, easy to work with, and easy to come by (in big metro areas anyways). Metal working with stainless and aluminum is completely different however.

sorry it took me so long to reply. it works great, holds up fine, and has wheels on 1 side. i have a friend that has used 1 for years and pointed me to it

Academy - Outdoor Gourmet Double-Burner Fry Cart

This looks sweet! But the site doesn't list much for specs beyond size. If you have one, would you mind a couple questions? Primarily, is there anything to indicate the burners' BTUs? Or can you estimate? What are the dimensions (thickness, width) of the spars/legs (so I can calculate the strength)?

This seems like an incredible deal if the burners are up to the task....

Hello gents ,

I've been hard at work on this project but it's moving slowly. Here's where I am so far

image-4014078583.jpg

My burners

image-1528597176.jpg

My keggles

image-796800669.jpg

My first pump. Compliments of mr hoppy guy

image-1981630523.jpg

My welder

image-1655250725.jpg

My welding practice ..... Ugly I know but it's still together

image-365657173.jpg

The last of my Christmas beers. I call this one santa's honey. It's a honey orange ipa

Attachments

• image-1199585780.jpg
    image-1199585780.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 293
  • image-3410427219.jpg
    image-3410427219.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 305
That welds not that ugly. Just for the record the main difference between a great welder and a crappy welder is the amount of time running a grinder to clean up your mess. Ask me how I know Chopps

JoeyChopps said:
That welds not that ugly. Just for the record the main difference between a great welder and a crappy welder is the amount of time running a grinder to clean up your mess. Ask me how I know Chopps

Hey thank you for the tip! I am curious about one aspect of the welding. Do you grind the bead down do that it is a flat surface or do you leave the bead and grind the slag off? Just wondering from a structural integrity standpoint

lehr said:
Buy all your parts before you go to the welder, try to lay it all out (even on the floor ) so you can get some idea of the size it will be and the location of the parts and pieces. My system is two tier you only have to have 1 pump and I prefer to run off with gravity. You can up grade as you go I added a RIMS to mine a year or so after I built it. Here are single and two tier systems I've built.
Pat

I forgot how amazing that thing looks

Tomtanner said:
Hey thank you for the tip! I am curious about one aspect of the welding. Do you grind the bead down do that it is a flat surface or do you leave the bead and grind the slag off? Just wondering from a structural integrity standpoint

I usally just grind them down till they look "pretty" I by no means am an expert so idk the correct answer hopefully someone with better knowledge will speak up

i use the dual turkey fryer setup from academy.

That's exactly like my original rig, except I reinforced the center with some wood, then later welded some additional angle in. It deflected pretty heavily when filled.

Tomtanner said:
Wow I actually forgot about this thread!

Here Is where I am at so far!

All fired up

Maze of tubes.

I have been documenting this build under the title

"the adventures of a complete noob and a brew rig"

Back