Moldy mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeadMachine

Reaction score
Hi all,

This batch of mead has been fermenting for 6 months. Towards the end the airlock ran out of water due to my negligence and mold has formed on the surface. The mead itself looks fine, though it is very clear compared to the other batch I made alongside it, which is cloudier. I am wondering if this batch is salvageable if I temove the mold and siphon the mead or if I should just toss it as to not risk a bad batch.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20221119_111430.jpg
    20221119_111430.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Never dump anything before tasting it, especially a 6 month investment..... assuming a high alcohol content has protected it somewhat, chances are it'll be fine.

One way to find out :cask:

If you could simply pluck that wad of mold, together with the tan stuff underneath (yeast rafts perhaps?) it's growing on, off your mead in one swell swoop, that would be best. That way that plug with mold wouldn't touch the mead you'll be drinking. But that's not possible, being in that jug.

You can probably very carefully siphon (using a thin racking cane, not an auto siphon) the mead from underneath the mold plug, preventing any mold from transferring, as much as possible. Then give it a taste.

Many (most?) people will advise against breathing or ingesting mold at any cost, and just toss it. A few may say otherwise and use it for their own consumption, but not share it with others.

Hi all,

This batch of mead has been fermenting for 6 months. Towards the end the airlock ran out of water due to my negligence and mold has formed on the surface. The mead itself looks fine, though it is very clear compared to the other batch I made alongside it, which is cloudier. I am wondering if this batch is salvageable if I temove the mold and siphon the mead or if I should just toss it as to not risk a bad batch.

Thanks.
I recommend you dump it. Mold is something you should never mess with, especially in mead. I would NOT risk it.

If you could simply pluck that wad of mold, together with the tan stuff underneath (yeast rafts perhaps?) it's growing on, off your mead in one swell swoop, that would be best. That way that plug with mold wouldn't touch the mead you'll be drinking. But that's not possible, being in that jug.

You can probably very carefully siphon (using a thin racking cane, not an auto siphon) the mead from underneath the mold plug, preventing any mold from transferring, as much as possible. Then give it a taste.

Many (most?) people will advise against breathing or ingesting mold at any cost, and just toss it. A few may say otherwise and use it for their own consumption, but not share it with others.
I tried to do this but it ended up breaking and pieces sunk into the mead. I am now straining the batch through a cheese cloth several times while I decide what to do. Is it possible to boil it at this stage or will that ruin it?

Is it possible to boil it at this stage or will that ruin it?
Heating or boiling the mead will ruin it, plus you'll evaporate alcohol while doing it. Besides, to kill spores it needs to be heated to 240°F, under pressure in a pressure canner or autoclave.

You mead may contain at least 10-12% alcohol, which makes it difficulty for anything to "live" in it. Not sure about mold and its spores though.

Heating or boiling the mead will ruin it, plus you'll evaporate alcohol while doing it. Besides, to kill spores it needs to be heated to 240°F, under pressure in a pressure canner or autoclave.

You mead may contain at least 10-12% alcohol, which makes it difficulty for anything to "live" in it. Not sure about mold and its spores though.
I am questioning the success of my ferments as I cannot really taste any alcohol in either batches. They were bubbling and fizzing well when I made the musk, I did not add any yeast, just activated the natural yeast in the honey. I have what I thought was a hydrometer but apparently is only for distills, not ferments. I put it in the mead and it floats above any of the marked readings. I'm thinking the yeast in the honey itself was not enough to complete the fermentation process.

I am questioning the success of my ferments as I cannot really taste any alcohol in either batches. They were bubbling and fizzing well when I made the musk, I did not add any yeast, just activated the natural yeast in the honey. I have what I thought was a hydrometer but apparently is only for distills, not ferments. I put it in the mead and it floats above any of the marked readings. I'm thinking the yeast in the honey itself was not enough to complete the fermentation process.
If your (natural) fermentation worked you may have seen small bubbles rising in the mead, and some foam (krausen) forming on the top. If the stopper sealed well enough, the airlock would have bubbled too.

Yes, you would need a proper (sugar) hydrometer measuring in °Brix and/or SG units.
What you got there may be an alcohol meter, similar looking but with a different scale.
https://diydistilling.com/alcoholmeter-vs-hydrometer/

If your (natural) fermentation worked you may have seen small bubbles rising in the mead, and some foam (krausen) forming on the top. If the stopper sealed well enough, the airlock would have bubbled too.

Yes, you would need a proper (sugar) hydrometer measuring in °Brix and/or SG units.
What you got there may be an alcohol meter, similar looking but with a different scale.
https://diydistilling.com/alcoholmeter-vs-hydrometer/
There was lots of foaming during the initial ferment, as well as when I racked it. Bubbling in the airlock and the mead itself is quite fizzy. Yes it is an alcohol meter I got by mistake. I'll have to check the gravity with an actual hydrometer to know for sure.

There was lots of foaming during the initial ferment, as well as when I racked it.
OK, there was fermentation then, and some alcohol must have formed. Maybe not enough.
Natural fermentations are tricky and need help to complete (ferment out all the way).

How long had it fermented before you racked it? And how would you know it was done?

OK, there was fermentation then, and some alcohol must have formed. Maybe not enough.
Natural fermentations are tricky and need help to complete (ferment out all the way).

How long had it fermented before you racked it? And how would you know it was done?
I started a small batch in a mason jar (about 3 tablespoons of honey to 1 liter of water) and let it activate over three days. I then added that to my main musk and let it ferment under a cheese cloth for about two weeks until the bubbling slowed down a bit. I then racked it to the jug. The first batch I made sat out for around three weeks before I realized I needed to activate the yeast in a smaller portion (like the mason jar) for it to do anything.

Back