Molasses in winter warmer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanzela

Reaction score
Last night I brewed up a Winter-Warmer with the hopes that I could have it ready (or close) by xmas.

My recipe was based heavily off of a clone I saw for Sam Smith's Winter Welcome:

- 11.5lb Canadian 2-row (about half of which I toasted for 10 mins to give a light bicuity taste)
- 12 oz of crystal malt (60L - homemade so not exact)
- 9oz of crystal malt (20L - again, homemade)

70 min mash at 154 (dropped a bit to 151)
90 min boil

0.5oz Fuggles (90)
0.5oz Kent Goldings (80)
0.5oz Kent Goldings (15)
0.5oz Kent Goldings (1)

Other ingredients:

Black strap molasses (10oz) - 60min
3 Cinnamon sticks - 30min
0.25tsp ground ginger - 5min
0.25 tsp ground nutmeg - 5min

I'm pretty sure the Sam Smith doesn't call for any of the spices or molasses, but I wanted to do some experimenting. Molasses seems like a controversial ingredient. What are people's thoughts? Did I ruin 5 gals of beer?

Not at all! I love molasses in beers, but most of these beers are darker, roastier stouts/porters/barleywines. You may need to step up the other spices by adding a spice tea in secondary....otherwise you might not taste them over the molasses.

Not at all! I love molasses in beers, but most of these beers are darker, roastier stouts/porters/barleywines.

Yes, I've seen it used only in this sort of thing. The beer is dark, but by no means 'porter-dark'. I was just thinking about what I like in a warmer (sweetness, rich maltiness, higher alc) and I figured that the molasses flavour should work, and that it would help to up the ABV by a hair. I only used a little so as to not overdo it.

You may need to step up the other spices by adding a spice tea in secondary....otherwise you might not taste them over the molasses.

I've seen many people do this and I may just go for it. I don't want an overly intense spice flavour, just subtle. How much of each would you recommend for the tea? 1tsp? Less? Do you soak in vodka?

Also, I'll likely just be sticking with the primary, but I don't see why I couldn't just toss the tea in there....

Thoughts?

You can do spices in the primary, but if you're bottling, I'd add it to your bottling solution. When I make a tea, I'll boil a cup or so of water, and then cut off the flame and add the spices to the water. This should be enough to clear up any sanitation worries.

As for amounts, I'd personally add the exact amounts you began with, other than the cinnamon. You could probably get by with 1 cinnamon stick and be alright. Keep in mind that spices will fade fairly quickly, so if you add too much, it will eventually mellow out.

Thanks, Suthrn. I really appreciate the advice. I may just go with ground cinnamon and avoid fiddling with the stick. Might toss a whole tsp in and leave the other quantities as is.

Nice to have a pro's advice to instill a bit of confidence in procedure.

Well, I don't know if I'd concider myself a pro...I like to say advanced experimentationalist. I don't think anyone in the brewing industry would consider their knowledge "sufficient". It's all about trial and error... try new things and find what works for you.

Good luck with the beer! And let us me know how it turns out...I think a lighter beer with molasses/spice sounds very interesting.

Last night I brewed up a Winter-Warmer, with the hopes that I could have it ready (or close) by xmas.

My recipe was based heavily off of a clone I saw for Sam Smith's Winter Welcome:

- 11.5lb Canadian 2-row (about half of which I toasted for 10 mins to give a light bicuity taste)
- 12 oz of crystal malt (60L - homemade so not exact)
- 9oz of crystal malt (20L - again, homemade)

70 min mash at 154 (dropped a bit to 151)
90 min boil

0.5oz Fuggles (90)
0.5oz Kent Goldings (80)
0.5oz Kent Goldings (15)
0.5oz Kent Goldings (1)

Other ingredients:

Black strap molasses (10oz) - 60min
3 Cinnamon sticks - 30min
0.25tsp ground ginger - 5min
0.25 tsp ground nutmeg - 5min

I'm pretty sure the Sam Smith doesn't call for any of the spices or molasses, but I wanted to do some experimenting. Molasses seems like a controversial ingredient. What are people's thoughts? Did I ruin 5 gals of beer?

That's way too much molasses for me. I'd try 4-6 oz. It's very bitter.
Good Luck

ah, we'll just have to see I guess. I am kinda doubting it'll be 'way too much'.

It really depends on your tastes. I find molasses, once fermented, pretty objectionable and dislike even brown sugar once fermented. Molasses is very strong and prominent. But so many people like it that I know it's just me. I don't even liked baked beans with a molasses flavor, so I would use it much more sparingly than others. But if you love molasses, then I think you'll be very happy with that amount.

Alright, that sounds good to me. I mean, I went with the molasses here because I do tend to like its flavor - at least unfermented. I figured there were enough other things going on in this beer that the molasses would be a little less pronounced. I also figured that this was a winter beer, with spice, much like a ginger-cookie, which are typically loaded with molasses.

In any case, this far into the game, there's only one way to find out. I really did believe that 10oz was enough to get the flavour, without being TOO much, but, the proof will be in the pudding - delicious, inebriating pudding.

Back