Modified Albany Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Der_Alte

Reaction score
I would like to brew a version of Albany Ale with my father when comes to visit us on Guam. Our first visitor from the mainland since I have been stationed here. Original recipe from the early 1900's was found in a newspaper article describing a local brewery's attempt to recreate this once popular ale.

I have never had a sample of this beer but thought it would be cool to make with my dad since we are both from Albany. After tweaking the recipe a lil to better meet the ingredients I can obtain here this is what I have come up with.

The 8oz of 6-row will be used as a separate cereal mash with the grits for 1-hour boil in 6-8qts of water. Then added to main mash and temp step to 154.

Looking for any suggestions on how this ale might come out. Thanks in advance.

Boil Size: 8.52 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.02 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated FG: 1.014
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs 8.0 oz Grits (1.0 SRM) Bob's Red Mill Adjunct 19.4 %
9 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 69.9 %
8.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
2.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.0 %
1.31 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 28.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8.3 IBUs
1.01 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 2.8 IBUs
12.0 oz Lyle's Golden Syrup (0.0 SRM) Extract 5.8 %
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast

Mash Schedule: Double Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 14.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Protein Rest Add 14.13 qt of water at 131.4 F 122.0 F 15 min
Saccharification Add boiling Grits and step temp to 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 2 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.44 gal water at 168.0 F

------

Looks like a tasty historical beer, vaguely similar to some in the ron pattison book, but with american ingredients.

The six row is going to give a background husky rough maltiness, with a relative thin body for a beer of a 1.056 due to the corn and the sugar. The invert should give a faint light fruitiness. The black malt is just for color adjustment so it isnt piss yellow. Cluster is a fairly rough bitter (And 40IBU with a light body is going to be refreshingly bitter), the 30 min addition should give a little flavor, cluster is spicy, and floral with a background note of litterbox. The fuggles addition is earthy, and herbal. That description doesnt sound good, but ive been surprised by some dubious historical recipes. Its going to taste "old fashioned" grandpa beer for sure. Id drink it.

Back