Modest Mash (my "new" setup)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frolickingmonkey

Reaction score
This is my new setup! It's modest, but it seems to work... the best part is most of the stuff I already had on hand or managed to score for free/cheap. Can't wait to dial in the new process! The first run was today, and all went well. It's a bit of a change from split boils on the stovetop and I like it!

Scored this keg from my neighbor for free. It's been sitting behind his shed in a pile of stuff, but I managed to spot it and he let me take it off his hands. My burner is a Camp Chef 60k BTU that I bought a couple years ago for cooking crab and wok cooking. I plan on upgrading the keggle soon, with a welded fitting, ball valve, etc.
beer%20001.jpg

I built this IC following BobbyM's video tutorial... Works great; it got me down to 68 degrees in about 12 minutes. It's also the most expensive piece of my setup.
beer%20002.jpg

And my MLT... This has been in our family for decades (can you tell?). It's only 5 gallons, but it works and the only cost was about $20 for the ball valve and related parts I had to buy. I've done some partial mashes with it, a half batch, and today was AG #4. I'm sure it won't be long now before I'll have to get a 10 gallon cooler...
beer%20003.jpg

Anyway, it's not much, but it's pretty exciting for me. I started with a 16qt stock pot and a can of Munton's 8 months ago, and this is where it got me! Thanks to everybody on HBT for the inspiration, help, and guidance. And special props to BobbyM for his video tutorials on keggle conversion and IC building! :mug:

Looks nice. Don't worry none about that cooler, I've got two 10 gallon coolers that I'm having a devil of a time finding fittings to make a MLT. SS washers of any size are elusive buggers.

Looks nice. Don't worry none about that cooler, I've got two 10 gallon coolers that I'm having a devil of a time finding fittings to make a MLT. SS washers of any size are elusive buggers.

I try to keep small pieces of stainless sheet around for odd uses; I make all the washers I need after drilling to 1/2", then enlarging with a carbide bit in a rotary tool.

Back