Modern Times Beer ?With a homebrewer designing your recipes, some extra cash helps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsock

Reaction score
For the last year I've been working as a (long distance) recipe consultant for a brewery, Modern Times, which will be opening in the next few months in San Diego. Jacob McKean (the founder) raised enough money from traditional investors to lease a building, buy a 30 bbl brew house, and hire some very talented professional brewers from the likes of Lost Coast, Monkey Paw, and Ballast Point.

As much as I enjoyed developing the four core beers (amber IPA hopped with Nelson, Mosaic, and Simcoe; hoppy wheat with Citra and Amarillo; Oatmeal stout with coffee that we'll roast on site, and a table saison) my real passion is sour beers (as The Mad Fermentationist). Currently we're running a Kickstarter campaign to raise money for used barrel so we dont have to wait for cash flow to pick up before getting some beers souring (and a lab so we can ensure that the rest of our beers won't be sour?).

There are some traditional rewards like hats/shirts of course. Rather than having a reserve society type membership, there is a club (League of Partygoers & Elegant People) that will give you access to test batch tastings, first notification when bottles are released, and a 32 oz growler that can be filled with limited beers not available for fills otherwise. All the employees are also contributing something fun, hosting a webinar on starting a brewery, teaching coffee roasting classes, giving Christmas light tours etc. If you're in the DC area, my contribution is a sour beer brew day at my house (disturbingly 7 of the 10 slots are already filled).

Any help spreading the word would be much appreciated! Also happy to answer any questions about my role, or anything else you'd like to know about the brewery/beers/process.

Dig the can designs, looks good!

I really like the look of the brand so far. Although as a process/ingredient nerd homebrewer I have mixed feelings on spending money on aesthetics when there are always things we could spend the same money on to give us more control over the brewing process, make brewing easier, produce more beer etc. Sadly how a can, tap handle, tasting room, website etc. looks is how many people choose to drink/buy a beer for the first time. Hopefully the can design draws people in, and the beer convinces them to come back!

Contributed yesterday. Love the laid back approach. Very similar to what we are doing in Chicago this summer, except on our lil 5bbl brewhouse.

Contributed yesterday. Love the laid back approach. Very similar to what we are doing in Chicago this summer, except on our lil 5bbl brewhouse.

Cheers, and thanks! Hopefully when ours is finished you can get a sense of what incentives people are interested in, and what they aren't. Best of luck!

I've visited your web page and tried a couple of your recipes.

I think that they are in very capable hands with you as part of their staff.

Best of luck to you and all involved.

Latest posts

Back