Modern Times' Barrel-Aged Coffee - Who's brewed with it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lazer Wolf Brewing

Reaction score
I was down at Modern Times the other day and picked up a bag of their bourbon barrel-aged coffee beans. If you haven't heard of these, basically all they do is age green, unroasted coffee beans in a bourbon barrel and then roast afterwards. Green beans are apparently super porous and absorb any aroma/flavors around them. Obviously my first thought when I saw this was "I need to brew with these!"

Has anyone brewed a batch of beer with barrel aged beans? What was the result? Any advice (did you dry hop crushed beans or add cold brew before packaging)?

I haven't yet brewed coffee with these beans so I'm not sure what their actual flavor profile is, but I'm hoping I get some bourbon/vanilla notes (otherwise what's the point). I'm thinking a nice bourbon barrel coffee stout would be awesome for thanksgiving/christmas morning!

I was down at Modern Times the other day and picked up a bag of their bourbon barrel-aged coffee beans. If you haven't heard of these, basically all they do is age green, unroasted coffee beans in a bourbon barrel and then roast afterwards. Green beans are apparently super porous and absorb any aroma/flavors around them. Obviously my first thought when I saw this was "I need to brew with these!"

Has anyone brewed a batch of beer with barrel aged beans? What was the result? Any advice (did you dry hop crushed beans or add cold brew before packaging)?

I haven't yet brewed coffee with these beans so I'm not sure what their actual flavor profile is, but I'm hoping I get some bourbon/vanilla notes (otherwise what's the point). I'm thinking a nice bourbon barrel coffee stout would be awesome for thanksgiving/christmas morning!

Awesome. Have been wanting to try these, sounds great.

There's an interview, I think it's the BeerSmith podcast, with the guys from Modern Times talking about coffee and beer. They actually do a beer with those beans, Monster Park stout probably.

What they recommended in the interview is just "dry hopping" with coffee for 2-3 days, 2-4 ounces per 5 gallon batch. They like this method as it allows for a lot of control over how much coffee flavor you're adding and it doesn't give the acrid flavors other methods can give.

I'd make a big stout with a big bourbon barrel coffee addition. Sounds dope.

Thanks for the info I'll have to try to find that podcast. Sounds like exactly what I need! I actually picked up a bottle of their barrel aged Devils teeth with the the bourbon coffee beans but haven't cracked it yet. It was 30 bucks so I'm saving for a special occasion...bastards.

ill reply back here when the brew is done later this month!

Back