Modded Computer Fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
I need to modify a computer fan so that i can plug it into a wall outlet. I'm no genius when it comes to things like this.

Are there any tutorials or how-to's anyone can direct me to??

Thanks in advance.

Grab between a 9v and 12v adapter from any old device and splice the wires together. Either use wire nuts or solder and tape.

I should have specified further that I am very electrically illiterate.

Ive never spliced wires together. Do i need solder and tape?? or will just tape work..cuz i dont know how to solder either :(

Maybe ill see if i can find something on youtube..

You could twist and tape, but that is not very secure and any pressure on the wires could cause the connection to fail.

If you don't want to (or can't) solder, I'd recommend the crimp on closed end caps. You don't need a special crimper, a pair of pliers would work.

Check out this link that does a great job of explaining the different techniques involved in getting a good connection.

For the actual wires, all the wall worts I have sitting around are the '2 wire' kind, where it looks like two wires that are stuck together. One of the wires has a white dashed line on it. This is the positive. It would be connected to the (normally) red wire on the fan. You can probably guess where the other wires go :D

Good luck!

The Link wolfman posted is FANTASTIC if you are electric illiterate. I'd highly recommend using butt connectors or pig-tails, as those will provide a secure connection without requiring any real skill to do.

As for powering the fan. You need a power supply. What kind of power supply? Well there are lots that would work. Look around for an old cell phone charger, or any other kind of power brick that plugs into the wall. Anything over 5Volts should work, but 7-12Volts would be ideal. The power brick/charger will say how many volts it outputs. It'll say 5V or 7V or something like that. Don't go over 12.

Take your power supply, and cut off the connector. You should now have just two wires coming from the PS. Do the same for the computer fan. Then strip all the wires, and connect them using a method from wolfman's link.

If you don't know how to strip a wire, watch this video

That's really it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back