Moar questions about propane plumbing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
Tons of info out there, none of it seems to be what I need. I am working on plumbing my new stand and have a couple questions. I plan on using standard 1/2 black pipe running to 2 large bayou classic banjo burners.

One: will the general design I have attached work? Basically a center pipe running back to front that splits off to run each burner. Propane tank will sit behind the stand.

Two: Will a simple 3/8 male to 1/2 female brass adapter be all that is needed to connect the standard propane tank regulator hose to the 1/2 black pipe?

Three: What are some options for flexible line that runs from the black pipe to the burners? The shortest length I can find is 5' which is crazy overkill.

Last: What do you use on the threads? Is standard white thread tape good enough?

20150831_114538.jpg

1.) Yes. It also depends on how your stand is organized. If I were redoing mine, I would move my needle valves closer to the burners. They get adjusted often, so make sure they are easily accessible.

2.) Yes

3.) You can find these hoses near the water heaters at bigbox homeimprovement stores, usually in various lengths. @onehoppyguy here on HBT sells custom length hoses that are very high quality.

4.) Yellow PTFE thread tape.

Damn, @OneHoppyGuy - your message inbox is full. Tried to message about custom short flexible hose.....

So are you going to remove the valves that come with the burners and use needle valves? I need to do something just like this and I've been wondering what to do with the stock valves.

The burners dont come with any valves when you order them as just the burner. The regulator hose has a valve and that will stay in place - that will be the hose between the tank and the black pipe. I probably could just run a regular hose but I already have it so I dont need to spend money on a different hose there.

Ok I see now. Excuse my dumbassery.

What do the needle valves do then?

The needle valves will control the burners individually. I open the tank valve and the "normal" regulator, then use the needle valves to actually control the flames.

The needle valves will control the burners individually. I open the tank valve and the "normal" regulator, then use the needle valves to actually control the flames.

Awesome! So the stock valves are basically hidden but the needle valves are up front. Great idea. Love to see 'ER when you're done. Not sure when I'll get to mine...hard time getting time to brew at this point.

Thanks for the info!

Here's what I've been able to come up with - I haven't tried it yet, just a theory.

I've spent most of the day looking and I believe that this might do it? If anyone knows let me know.

1. BG14
2. LP Orifice
3. 3/8" compression x 1/4" NPT
4. 5' 1/4" propane hose
5. Black iron elbow
6. Needle valve
7. Black iron tee
8. Black iron nipple
9. Black iron coupler
10. 1/4" NPT x 3/8" compression
11. Regulator w/hose

sLPSmOM.png

Here we go again, this is the one I am going to go with unless someone points out an issue. I'll update this again after I get everything and I see if it works. Thanks for putting up with my excessive updating and allowing the thread hijack :).

1. BG14 Burner
2. LP Orifice
3. 1' lpg hose - 3/8"SAE x 1/4" NPTF
4. Black iron elbow
5. Needle valve
6. Black iron tee
7. Black iron nipple
8. 1/4"NPTF x 3/8"SAE adapter
9. Regulator w/hose 3/8"SAE

J6k3LMl.png

Back