mmm honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What type of beer is it? I just checked with Beersmith what the amount of honey I would need for my India Red IPA (5 gallon batch). It said to use 4.04 oz honey for a 5 gallon batch.

Be Careful with honey. I had this happen with my cider. If it is not fully mixed in all the way, you will get separation and chunks of crystallized honey in your breers.

So make sure you test the solution before you put it in your bottling bucket. Mix the Honey with water and heat to about 130 degrees, then cool it down in the fridge, if the honey separates you need a bit more water, and reheat, and test again. This will help to ensure that the honey does not come out of suspension.

Use one of the priming calculation sites. Also WEIGH the honey DO NOT USE VOLUME MEASURE.

When I was bottle priming I would use about 1.25x the regular sugar weight in honey. I would also target no higher than the middle CO2 volumes for the style.

No I'm bottling out of my fermentation bucketthen primeing with half a tea spoon of sugar but I want to prime with honey I'm gonna use about 5.ml of honey per 500 .ml of ale.

Thanks for the link. But once again in my haste I just went ahead and put the honey in anyway if it was to much I'll learn for next time (trial and error) thanks for the help everyone have any of you used ginger favouring before.

Back