Mm 1st brew, thanks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aop2717

Reaction score
Don't really have any questions to ask just wanted to say thanks to all those who have asked questions and answered them on these forums. And Share my first brewing experience.

I read up on these forums for a few weeks and two books before attempting my 1st brew. A Tru Brew Continental Dark extract kit. Bought one of the Tru Brew brewing kits glass carboy, bottling bucket, racking cain, etc....

I made some mistakes doing it, was a partial boil. And to say I had a boil over was a bit of an understatement. I covered half of the oven top and the catch pan underneath :eek: Did a few other things wrong but I knew what I had done wrong and how to correct it.(most from reading here) The other two largest mistake I made was I screwed up the hydrometer reading, still not sure how I messed that one up. And attempted to cool it in the sink which took way to long for my taste almost an hour.

Fermentation went well let it ferment for a week and half. Was a little worried at first about possible infection when what I have figured out was the kraeusen on top. After the two an half weeks went ahead and bottled with no problems. Let it stay in the bottles for 3 weeks.

Trying one at the week one point and boy was it uhh interesting. Smelled like beer but didn't taste good at all. Well two weeks later and me and some friends got together and had some of the brews. Much Much better this time. No where near perfect but it is a drinkable beer.

After the over boil on the oven top I decided it was time that it got moved outside. I already had access to a 6 gallon pot, and turkey cooker. I just needed to get a immersion cooler. So off to lowes after reading on here again, got everything I needed the first time out.

The 2nd batch of beer brewed went much better this time as best i could tell no major mistakes, and my confidence in this batch is much higher. A Tru Brew Red Ale extract kit this time.

I found that things went much smoother this time around and I thought personally doing a full boil was much easier. The next step I think will to buy another carboy I can't decided if I just want to get one as I would like to play with using a secondary. But also want to have more than one beer going at once now that I'm hooked.

Not sure what I'm going to do if I will get a few buckets and use them or pony up and get a another carboy and just deal with two until I can get another and then do a secondary. Oh next kit is going to be a Tru Brew Amber extract kit. After that I'm going to have to order some more kits! The reason I am using Tru Brew kits and things is that is what the home brew store had thinking I am going to order a kit or two online from a one of the online dealers and get a different brand and give it a go.

Just want to say a big thanks to all those who contribute here and provide such valuable information and advice.

Sounds like you're doing great. Congrats on moving outside; I think that's the way to go.

Back