MLT Keg Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopper31

Reaction score
I got a hold of a full size keg for free from a friend at the local distributor. I just have a few questions. I am using a 5 gal cooler now just curious what are the advantages to the keg set up vs. the cooler and how do you hold it at the different temps do you put it on the heat directly or try and wrap insulate around it.
:tank:

A keg is the way to go. I converted fifteen years ago because I wanted to step mash and have never regretted it. You'll have so much more versatility in your temperature control. You'll be able to mash up to 25 lbs of grain and, if your boiler is big enough, do 10 gallon batches (I use a keg for boiling and HLT as well) It's twice the beer for the same amount (well almost) of work. You'll be stoked!

As far as insulating it for the mash, I just squirt the metal skirt at the bottom and throw a sleeping bag over the whole thing, burner and all. I never lose more than a degree or two in a 90 minute mash.

You should definately fit your keg with a drain and a manifold, though, for sparging. It's easy and well worth the effort.

cheers, -p

Ditto to Perry's comments. I love my converted keg mash tun.

I recirculate during my mash, and use direct heat to maintain mash temp and step to higher temps. Get a good false bottom and setup a recirculation system, you won't regret it. More stuff on mine here.

Same here. Mine's not insulated, but I only lose a few degrees during a 30-45 min mash. I heat the strike water in the keg (big plus IMHO). The keg gets really hot around the skirt and since it's SS, it holds the heat fairly well. Steps/mash-outs are easy - I just got a pump, so I plan on recirculating while stepping the mash temps now instead of stirring.

Back