Mixed Wine bottles require different sized corks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
I made a batch of Mead for a buddy, who also supplied used wine bottles for bottling. Thing is, it would appear that 3 of them are different and appead wider in the neck than others I'm used to. I'm worried that they require a bugger cork. I have previously corked using a hand held corker, which Apparently can only use #8 corks. Have a look at the pic. does the bottle on the right require a bigger cork than the one of the left? Should I just sub the few bottles that look different and go with # 8 corks? Or are they all the same deeper in the throat of the bottle?

Thanks

IMG_3260[scaled].JPG

unless they are a screw top (which they do not appear to be) most commercial wine bottles take the same size cork. There are some handmade bottles that may be an exception. Depending on how long they plan to keep you may want to consider a #9 (should still work with your hand corker but will just be more difficult) as they will fit tighter. I only use #8s for wine I plan on drinking within about 6 months or so.

Don't these things expand when the bottle's on their side and the cork is wet?

Back