Mix vs. Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

messler

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to brewing. I just made my first batch from a Morgan's Amber Ale kit. I know people here say not to, but I followed the instructions on the can because thats what the guy at the brew store said to do. I just have a few questions.
First- I used corn sugar cause the store guy said to. What would be the difference if I used malt for my next batch (which would be a pilsner). Will it make a vast improvement?

Second- I have gathered from reading things here that most people think using all grain or a mix of malt extract and grain is the best way to go instead of using the syrup mix stuff. I have no fear of complex recipes, but I also live in an apartment and i'm worried that if I boiled grain it might stink up my floor. Is this true, and if so, am I best to just stick with mixes?

First- I used corn sugar cause the store guy said to. What would be the difference if I used malt for my next batch (which would be a pilsner). Will it make a vast improvement?

Are you talking about at bottling or as part of the recipe?

I have no fear of complex recipes, but I also live in an apartment and i'm worried that if I boiled grain it might stink up my floor. Is this true, and if so, am I best to just stick with mixes?

Steeping grains will make you place smell like you're baking bread. It can be a bit strong for a couple hours but it's a pleasant smell and disipates rather quickly. Go ahead and give it a go.

Oh, and welcome to the obsession.

:mug:

welcome for sure.

Look in our recipe section. There are plenty of great extract recipes there,,,,and they are almost always better than the kits in store...and definitely better than the can + sugar kit that you have.

Dried malt extract would provide an improvement over sugar, but I don't think it's bad to just follow the instructions the first time. The truth is, the quality of your first brew may have more to do with your sanitation and fermenting techniques.

I wouldn't say you should be in a hurry to go all grain. Malt extract + specialty grain steep isn't a big challenge over what you're doing now, but will taste a lot better. You mention "that syrup stuff." That's liquid malt extract, which is fine to use.

The problem with apartment brewing isn't the smell so much as it is space, burner power, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I meant sugar in the initial fermenting, but I guess I use it when bottling also.
I'll check out the recipe section. I can see the obsession growing quickly.

It always smells strong no matter what I'm brewing with; extract or AG. You really notice it after you step out for a bit and come back in. But its a good smell, like Victory hop devil.

Alot of kits have you use corn sugar and DME (dried malt extract). Most people think the corn sugar leaves a cidery taste to the finished product. When you kit is done, if it has this taste, then next time try all DME. Most LHBS workers tell you to do it as the directions say, because either they are too lazy to teach you how to make it better, or figure it would be easier for a new person to just follow the original recipe.

Extract kits with grains and hops, are generally the better kits to get. Whenever I am steeping grains my wife who doesn't drink much at all, always says that it smells good.

If you try a kit from Austin, Northern, or Midwest, I think you will be happy in the end.

I've never had a problem with the smell from grains while brewing, but make sure you take the used grains to the dumpster ASAP. After a couple days in the trash can, the grains smell absolutely putrid!

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking at some pilsener recipes and most call for me to add both bittering hops and ones later in the boil for aroma. So one last question. If I'm using a pre-hopped pilsner mix, does anyone think I still need bittering hopps? I understand that I should use some for aroma because you can't get that from cans, but do you think the can will have enough for bittering?

By the way i'm using Black Rock Export Pilsener.

Back