Missed target OG on Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewInTheFort

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not sure if I missed the target OG or not. I'm basing this off of the typical BJCP guidelines of what the OG should be on an Irish Red Ale (1.044 - 1.060). I came in slightly less at a 1.042 on an extract recipe. I've already pitched the yeast so it may be a moot point for now.

What differences will this make in matching the style of beer?

Well, you're technically out of the range, but the bigger question is what was your target? If you were going for 44 points but ended up with 42, that's not too big of a miss. If you were shooting for 50 or more, something went pretty wrong somewhere. Are you doing all grain or extract?

As for the beer, it'll be fine. It shouldn't be dramatically off in taste, just a tad low on alcohol.

I've been told that with extract you can pretty much assume you hit the calculated OG.

I don't have any software to calculate the target OG and the recipe I used did not provide it. I may see if I can find a free calculator and input all the ingredients to see how close I was.

I've also heard that with an extract it's very difficult to miss the target OG, whether it's within the expected style guidelines is a different story.

I don't have any software to calculate the target OG and the recipe I used did not provide it. I may see if I can find a free calculator and input all the ingredients to see how close I was.

I've also heard that with an extract it's very difficult to miss the target OG, whether it's within the expected style guidelines is a different story.

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

I use that calculator for pretty much everything. I really should invest in some better software but for now it works.

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

I use that calculator for pretty much everything. I really should invest in some better software but for now it works.

I ran the following recipe through the calculator:

3.3 lbs. Gold Liquid Malt Extract
1 lb. M&F Light Dry Malt
2 lbs. Lager Grain M&F (cracked)
1 lb. Cara Pils Grain (cracked)
1 lb. British Crystal Grain (cracked)
2 oz. Fuggles Hops - 50 minute boil
1 oz. Fuggles Hops - 5 minute post boil
1 pkg. Wyeast Liquid Yeast - London Ale

Came up with an OG of 1.052. Looks like it was a partial mash and I missed the target by 10 points.

Another question, do you always strain your hops out before adding to the primary?

Yep, I use a sanitized wire mesh filter, and pour through it. I don't brew hoppy styles so I never have to worry about dry hopping or anything.

Yep, I use a sanitized wire mesh filter, and pour through it. I don't brew hoppy styles so I never have to worry about dry hopping or anything.

I normally strain also. However, this one I wanted to be a little hoppier than a normal irish red ale so I left them in. Just making sure it won't cause any unwanted side effects.

Latest posts

Back