Missed OG, add sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeppman

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Brewed a DIPA friday night and missed my OG by about 6 points. Probably rushed the sparge, not really sure. Anyway, if I were to boil some corn sugar in a small amount of water, cool and add it to the fermenter tomorrow morning would that be OK? I've got a lot of hops in this one and want to make sure its somewhat balanced. Thanks.

6 points really isn't a big deal unless you have a pretty low original gravity which you shouldn't considering the style, so id say your just fine. What was your og?

You should be fine but you can do what you are asking about adding the sugar. That is what is usually done in Dogfishead 120min IPA clones.

Well 73-65 is 8, but either way I would guess it may be a dilution issue but if not maybe yeah you could just boil some water and dissolve sugar and add. You won't need much water to dissolve the sugar. The more water you add the more it would dilute.

- ISM NRP

Simple sugars are great in a DIPA. If you don't have too much in there already, I would definitely go for it.

Haha, yeah, a little too much beer when I posted this lastnight, and no coffee when I replied early this morning... so 8 it is!

Thanks for the replies.

Back