Misread (ok misunderstood) Recipe,what will I end up with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prenger745

Reaction score
Another one of my stupid mistakes. Granted, I have brewed 6 batches of beer and all have been fairly good to my ignorant palate. So yesterday I go for the gusto and brew an Imperial Stout. My grain bag must have weighed 15lbs when I took it out.

Anywho, instead of putting the hops in for 60mins, I put them in at the 60 minute mark of the boil. I wasn't drunk or drinking, just a dumb mistake. Essentially making them finishing hops. Any ideas what I can expect?

Here is the hop:

20.8 AAU Warrior® hops (60 min.) (1.3 oz/37 g at 16% alpha acids)

Thanks,
Danno

It'll probably be overly sweet since there won't be enough bitterness to balance it out. See what it tastes like when it's done. You can boil some hops in water to make a tea and add it later. That'll require taking a known volume sample and adding a certain amount of the tea until it tastes right. You can scale it up for the full batch.

Did you pitch the yeast already? How about diluting it with an extra gallon of water and doing another 45-60 minute boil?

I really have no idea what will happen but i'm sure everyone will like to be updated!

A guess for me is that its going to be super sweet and probably dry. Maybe you should dilute it a bit with water to thin out the sweetness?

Yea I have already pitched the yeast and they are working away. What a bone-head mistake. I bet I still drink it :) I could re-brand it as "Dan's Devilishly Sweet Stout"

Subdivisions: Can you elaborate a bit on your idea? Would I add that while in the primary or?

Thanks!

I really have no idea what will happen but i'm sure everyone will like to be updated!

A guess for me is that its going to be super sweet and probably dry. Maybe you should dilute it a bit with water to thin out the sweetness?

How can something be super sweet AND dry? wouldn't dry be opposite?

How can something be super sweet AND dry? wouldn't dry be opposite?

Not really...it is a mouth 'feel' after taking a sip..Like when drinking Champagne,it is sweet yet after swallowing your mouth feels dry..At least that is what Champagne feels like to me..YMMV

Yea I have already pitched the yeast and they are working away. What a bone-head mistake. I bet I still drink it :) I could re-brand it as "Dan's Devilishly Sweet Stout"

Subdivisions: Can you elaborate a bit on your idea? Would I add that while in the primary or?

Thanks!

It would be added after fermentation is done. There's a bunch of threads on the forum about it. Just do a search for 'hop tea'. You basically boil hops in plain water to extract the alpha acids. It would require some trial and error by adding a measured amount of tea to a measured amount of beer then seeing how you like it. Once you have a good ratio then scale it up to the full batch.

Ok so I have read a bit about the hop tea. Interesting idea. So if I am understanding it correctly, I make a hop tea out of the same hops (Warrior). I then grab a pre-measured amount of beer from the fermenter (ie 1 cup). Then I add, for example, a teaspoon of the hop tea. Tastes great, so then scaling it up I would add 80 tsp of the hop tea to the beer. Which is roughly 1.67 cups.

How do I know how big of a batch of hop tea to make in the first place? Or have I not searched enough on here?

Thanks!
Danno

I saw the title and immediately wanted to respond with:

beer.

any stout doesnt really have a noticeable hop presence, as long as it doesnt get infected from the lack of hops, itll be fine

to make hop tea for bittering post-boil, easiest way would be to boil a small amount of water with some hops for a period of time. Cover it and let cool, then add carefully to the fermentor

My gut tells me to leave it alone. I am still a beginner and always worry about infection and adding stuff after fermentation just worries me. However, the idea of the hop tea is interesting to me. The fact is, I don't know what I am going to do, ha!

@m00ps: Is the chance of infection pretty high? When would I be able to tell if it is infected? It is fermenting away with a lot of good activity at this time.

Its probably fine, especially if you got it fermenting before too long. Hops were originalyl used to ward off infections but these days we have sanitizers and stuff to keep bacteria out. Once its actually produced alcohol, that will help too. I would only add hop tea if you taste it and the balance it just off from the bit of bitterness youd usually get from hops

Ok so I have read a bit about the hop tea. Interesting idea. So if I am understanding it correctly, I make a hop tea out of the same hops (Warrior). I then grab a pre-measured amount of beer from the fermenter (ie 1 cup). Then I add, for example, a teaspoon of the hop tea. Tastes great, so then scaling it up I would add 80 tsp of the hop tea to the beer. Which is roughly 1.67 cups.

How do I know how big of a batch of hop tea to make in the first place? Or have I not searched enough on here?

Thanks!
Danno

I have never used hop tea to back bitter a beer, but it seem like it would be difficult to adjust or correct for a missing 60min addition if it was substantial like 50 or 60 IBUs.

If it was a 5gal batch and IBUs dilute like sugar in a wort, a cup and half of hop teas would need to be like 2000 IBUs to provide the equivalent IBUs that the original addition would of added.

If the yeast you added is not too attenuative, maybe add another yeast that is to help dry it out some or do what you can get the yeast to keep working.

Something like this might help to add bitterness without diluting or blending with another beer.
http://www.hoptech.com/products/iso-alpha-extract-2-oz

Last edited:
Back