Misread directions, removed hops to early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guerillaboy

Reaction score
Hey guys, Just had a question as I am still trying to learn the basics of how adding and removing at certain times does certain things flavor-wise.

So I brewed up a batch the other night, first time doing any kind of steeping or anything of the sort. I was reading the directions and misread part. Essentially what I did was.

Put the flavor(or bitterness I cant remember which they called it?) hops in and let boil for 45 minutes. Then when I put the aroma(?) hops in I took the original hops steeping bag out. Well about 10 minutes later as I was reading I realized I should have also left the original hops bag in along with the second bag.

I am just wondering what will this do to my beer? I am guessing just make it less bitter?

that's right, it'll be less bitter because the first hop addition is almost entirely for bitterness. As a rule of thumb, never take the hops out once they've been put in. I don't think I've ever seen a recipe that asked you to take them out.

that's right, it'll be less bitter because the first hop addition is almost entirely for bitterness. As a rule of thumb, never take the hops out once they've been put in. I don't think I've ever seen a recipe that asked you to take them out.

Yeah it was just a misunderstanding/misreading on my part.

no worries, you're not the first person to misread/misunderstand that. I think there was a post last week where someone did the 60 minute boil, then put the hops in after. DOH!

I've been taking the hop additions out at the end of the boil.

should i be leaving these in during fermentation?
Bittering hops that have been in there for 60-90 minutes aren't going to add any flavor or aroma at this stage, correct?

and since i don't dry hop until fermentation is complete(secondary for some), what does leaving them in there do that hasn't already been done?

no, I was debating about clearing that part up in my post.. guess I should have. Yes, the hops are only supposed to be in there during the boil - not the ferment. That's why we have false bottoms, stainless hose braids, paint strainer bags, etc. in our boil kettles (to make sure we only get the wort and not the hops into our fermenter.

Also, yes, the 60-90 minute hops are for bittering. You should add hops at flameout or just before to add aroma. You can also add hops at about 15 minutes for "flavoring", I sometimes skip that addition - I don't find that it adds much.

Back