Mishandled smack pack, thermal shock, off taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tutsbrew

Reaction score
I have a batch of Amber Ale in the fermenter, made a starter for some Wyeast 1332 (Northwest Ale). It was my 1st time using liquid yeast and the 1st time doing a starter. However...

I used a starter but with the yeast likely not very viable as a whole due to possible thermal shock AND also a good smack pack at time of pitching to the fermenter. The question is at the end of the post, but here's some yapping about what happened:

...I likely did not allow enough time for the yeast to get to room temp before pitching it into the starter wort. Although it was nearly an hour plus and there was some package puffing, I feel the yeast was not very high in 'good' cell count after pitching to yeast starter beaker due to thermal shock. I tried smacking the nutrient pack open but the thought of bursting the now slightly puffy pack of yeast all over the room kept me from trying too hard I suppose. The nutrient pack within ended up not being broken. The yeast packet still felt a bit cool to the touch but not 'chilly', if that makes any sense.

After 24 hours on a stir plate I turned it off. The yeast settled quickly to the bottom, I saw very little if any sign of fermentation in the beaker. I pitched it anyway 'cuz at the time i did not know if what I was seeing was normal or not. Having said that, the little brewer on my shoulder told me I should pitch another pack as insurance 'cuz of my doubt, and I did just that. It did end up showing good signs of fermentation 12 hours after pitching. I have two 1332's pitched. One likely not 'good' as a whole and one good one. Soooo....

My question: Will such an abundance of yeast, 2 smack packs total with maybe half to half plus of it not viable, cause any yeasty off flavors? I'd like an idea about this so as to know what to expect and help me to differentiate these yeast issue tastes (if any) from anything else.

((BTW, i learned a heap from this experience regarding technique and forethought, but would like help in the area of any off tastes to expect.))

I would say that the first starter was fine. If you cannot break the nutrient pack, either skip it or sanitize some scissors and add it to the starter. Either way is ok.

Starters do not always show normal signs of fermentation as you would see with a full batch.

Unless the pack was old the yeast should have been fine at pitching. They are hardier than most give them credit for. The thermal difference, IMO was not enough to cause any harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The Wyeast that I have used did not recommend a starter. It always seemed to work fine. I'm told that it will work just as well without breaking the nutrient pack. My worst experience was having the smack pack blow up when trying to break a stubborn nutrient pack. Half of a smack pack with possible contamination issues still worked OK with a slower startup. Now, I've gone to dry yeasts. At half the cost, twice the cell count and longer storage times, I'll never go back. I do save yeast and use it once before retiring it to keep mutant yeast from growing. Safale 05 and Nottingham have been very reliable.

Thank you very much, both of you, for the quick responses!

Glad to see I can take that as a "no" regarding my question concerning off flavors, and I do appreciate the accompanying information.

KH, yeah, I think I do remember reading somewhere that there will be much less by way of 'signs of fermentation' in a starter as compared to the fermenter.

Thanks again and hope you guys have a great weekend. :mug:

The Wyeast that I have used did not recommend a starter. It always seemed to work fine. I'm told that it will work just as well without breaking the nutrient pack. My worst experience was having the smack pack blow up when trying to break a stubborn nutrient pack. Half of a smack pack with possible contamination issues still worked OK with a slower startup. Now, I've gone to dry yeasts. At half the cost, twice the cell count and longer storage times, I'll never go back. I do save yeast and use it once before retiring it to keep mutant yeast from growing. Safale 05 and Nottingham have been very reliable.

All the liquid yeast manufacturers for some reason say you can just pitch the yeast from the vial or pack. For a low gravity recipe this is probably fine but once you start with bigger beers it is best to make a starter and pitch the proper cell count.

If you look around you will find articles and videos from the yeast companies technicians recommending making starters.

Dry yeast is great and I always keep some on hand for when I don't plan ahead for the liquid yeast. The bad thing with dry yeast is the limited styles. Although new ones are being introduced frequently.

Back