Mised my og. What to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandalG

Reaction score
I did Biermuncher's Blue Balls recipe and missed my og by 6 gravity points so I was going to add some DME to bump it up. Question is what to add. I have some plain extra light I use for starters. Or I was going to pick up some wheat dme if you guys think that's better. It's a Belgian Wit so it's it's half pale malt and half flaked wheat. I've never done this before so any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Batch is at about 5.8 gallons at 56 degrees. I'm at 1.046 and want to go to 1.052

You're only going to need like 3/4 of a lb, it's not going to matter much. I'd just use the extra light that you have.

So in the future should I be checking my og at flameout? Normally I'm adding water to top up and dilute in the fermenter but for some reason I've been struggling to hit my og lately on this recipe the last couple of times I brewed it. I thought I had my boil off dialed in but on this recipe I always end up with more in the fermenter with a lower og. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I follow beersmith's strike temp in the mash and when it should be at 154 I end up at 148 so I'm adding boiling water to bring it up to 154. Been scratching my head on this one the last few times.

So in the future should I be checking my og at flameout?

Normally I'm adding water to top up and dilute in the fermenter but for some reason I've been struggling to hit my og lately on this recipe the last couple of times I brewed it.

I thought I had my boil off dialed in but on this recipe I always end up with more in the fermenter with a lower og. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I follow beersmith's strike temp in the mash and when it should be at 154 I end up at 148 so I'm adding boiling water to bring it up to 154. Been scratching my head on this one the last few times.

1) yes, check the OG at flameout.
If using a hydrometer, it has to cool before it is accurate and if using a refractometer then it cools much quicker. (in case you didn't already know that )

You mention topping off and then also ending up with too much in the fermenter. If this is the case then stop using so much top off water.

Check your thermometer and calibrate to make sure it is accurate.

1)

You mention topping off and then also ending up with too much in the fermenter. If this is the case then stop using so much top off water.

I meant previous batches of other beers I usually end up topping off because I usually end up boiling off too much so I overshoot my og.
But the last two times I made this beer for some reason it didn't boil off as much as usual so batch was weaker because of it. Next time I'll use less sparge water I think because topping up is easier than adding dme I tihnk.

I meant previous batches of other beers I usually end up topping off because I usually end up boiling off too much so I overshoot my og.
But the last two times I made this beer for some reason it didn't boil off as much as usual so batch was weaker because of it. Next time I'll use less sparge water I think because topping up is easier than adding dme I tihnk.

The outside temperature and wind conditions will also affect your boil off rate. Pre-heat your strike water to 164*F and stir your mash until it drops to the proper temp. You can always add a little cool water if your temperature is too high. When you are collecting your runnings, be sure not to collect more than needed. Just because you have more water in your mash tun, doesn't mean that you have to drain it into your kettle. I usually use any final runnings for starter wort, I boil it for 15 minutes and pressure can it.

Back