misc 10 gallon ipa recipe in need of critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1GR8DA

Reaction score
I looked at common base malts and grains with certain flavors and here's what I got:

20 pounds english pale 2 row
2 lb crystal 60l
2 lb vienna

The hops are what I had in stock:
1 oz simcoe 60 min
2oz simcoe 45
1 oz simcoe 15
1 oz Amarillo 3 min

Good bad or UGLY?
Using a direct fire RIMS with a 3 step 90min mash and 60 mon boil

Thanks!!

Personally I like the malt bill. Simple, and definitely not too high. I use around 6% crystal and 10% munich in mine, so you should be fine. I would suggest that you move your 45 min addition later in the boil.

If you can get more hops:

2 oz simcoe @ 60
1.5 oz simcoe @ 15
1 oz simcoe @ 5
1 oz amarillo @ 5
1 oz simcoe @ 0
1 oz amarillo @ 0
Dry hop with 1 oz each amarillo and simcoe

That hop schedule would pretty much be an IPA version of my buddy pass pale ale (posted here in recipes) and it turned out amazing.

All I have left are Saaz and sterling. Hops BTW they are all whole leaf including the original hop bill.
Mash temps
120 20 min
155 40
168 10

Hmm...you can still get the IBU's you need out of those hops, but if you load up the 6 min to 2 oz...you won't have much left for the flavor and aroma. I highly suggest trying to source more.

Another worthless opinion ;)

Reduce the initial bittering addition to no more than 20 IBU. Consider doing a First Wort Hop instead of the 60 min bittering.

I agree that the 45 min hop addition should be eliminated.

I would suggest hop charges at 20 min, 10 min, 5 min, 0 min and then some more during the rest after boil. The last two additions are also known as knockout and whirlpool charges.

There is no reason for any kind of step mash with just about any of today's grain. A single infusion mash will work just fine. A mash out rest can be used but is not really needed with the grain you have selected.

Ok. Here are the adjustments:
20lb uk pale 2 row
2 lb vienna
1 lb crystal 60

Mash: 50 @ 155 / 10 @ 168

1+1 simcoe/amarillo oz additions @
Dry hop

Going to lhbs wednesday so trying to hammer this out now.
Fyi : 2 vials of WLP060 American Ale yeast.

Ok. Here are the adjustments:
20lb uk pale 2 row
2 lb vienna
1 lb crystal 60

Mash: 50 @ 155 / 10 @ 168

1+1 simcoe/amarillo oz additions @
Dry hop

Going to lhbs wednesday so trying to hammer this out now.
Fyi : 2 vials of WLP060 American Ale yeast.

Looks great, but did you leave out the 60 min?

Yes. Should I make a 60 min addition? I harp buy more hops so I have 5oz of simcoe and 6 oz of Amarillo.

Without the 60 min addition you are around 42 ibu. If you want it over 60 (which you do) add an oz of Simcoe at 60. That should get you to around 65 ibu.

Back