Minneapolis Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsnownw

Reaction score
I finally got the info I asked for from Minneapolis Water! I compiled these two excel sheets from the data, and all numbers have been rounded. If information was missing from the original info, it is listed as "n/a". Total alkalinity was listed as CaCO3, and I have included HCO3 which I calculated using Bru'n Water's calculator, using the average pH for each month.

Anyway, basically this is almost two complete years worth of data, broken down by month. This should give you some idea of the seasonal variations, and you can augment your water profile accordingly.

EziGlg6.jpg

slPL3hP.jpg

I'm also including a link to the Excel file, so you can augment it as you see fit:

2012-2013 Minneapolis Water Profile

Awesome! I got the report a year or two ago and never quite got around to doing anything with it, so ill definitely be checking out your spreadsheet.

Awesome! I got the report a year or two ago and never quite got around to doing anything with it, so ill definitely be checking out your spreadsheet.

Hey, thanks for sharing...I just got mine back and I'm still trying to decipher it.

Not a problem. I ended up sending the completed spreadsheet to them, so they may be sending it out when others ask for information.

FWIW, I have been using these numbers with Bru'un water and I've been hitting my Mash PHs dead on. So these numbers are still relevant and pretty damn accurate. Thanks again! :mug:

Here is 2014's report! I found it online but I cant find the link anymore - but this is what was emailed to me. In Bru'n water it doesnt quite balance out, but if you add the 3 ppm K that is present in some other reports Ive seen (i think from nordeast brewers alliance) it gets pretty dang close.

View attachment RECORD OF DATA FOR THE YEAR 2014.pdf

Here is 2014's report! I found it online but I cant find the link anymore - but this is what was emailed to me. In Bru'n water it doesnt quite balance out, but if you add the 3 ppm K that is present in some other reports Ive seen (i think from nordeast brewers alliance) it gets pretty dang close.

Nice man thanks! I just compared 2014's avgs to the 2013 report and the difference is pretty minimal. Yay for Minnesota water! lol

Thanks for sharing! I'm barely scratching the surface on understanding water profile.

What are people doing to their Minneapolis water for brew day?

Thanks for sharing! I'm barely scratching the surface on understanding water profile.

What are people doing to their Minneapolis water for brew day?

Thankfully Minneapolis water is pretty damn neutral and soft. Fantastic brewing water. I've spoken with a few pro-brewers in the metro and everyone loves it. It can accommodate pretty much any style.

But to answer your question my additions and adjustments are largely dependent on my grain bill and target mash ph. Mash ph is the ultimate priority with mineral adjustments coming in second. If you are new to water chemistry I highly recommended checking out Bru'un water and then downloading the spreadsheet and going from there. It's very very accurate.

Cheers!

Thankfully Minneapolis water is pretty damn neutral and soft. Fantastic brewing water. I've spoken with a few pro-brewers in the metro and everyone loves it. It can accommodate pretty much any style.

But to answer your question my additions and adjustments are largely dependent on my grain bill and target mash ph. Mash ph is the ultimate priority with mineral adjustments coming in second. If you are new to water chemistry I highly recommended checking out Bru'un water and then downloading the spreadsheet and going from there. It's very very accurate.

Cheers!

Do you use any water filter for your brewing water?

I do not. I actually spoke with the owner and head brewer of dangerous man a couple weeks ago and he said they only carbon filter the water to remove impurities. So I suppose that would be an option I'll look into down the road but I've won of few awards from good ol' tap water with mineral adjustments only, so it's sufficient enough for me.

Update:

I've been using two carbon filters at home and campden tablets. I found out that our tap water can sometimes have high amounts of chlorine and chloramines which can give off flavors and make hoppy beers tasty earthy and muted. (I learned the hard way).

Cheers!

Back